HVAC Humidifier question?

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Wife has been on me the past few years about how dry our house gets in winter. Our house is six years old, a small 1400sq ft ranch that is fairly air tight. In the summer we run a dehumidifier in the basement keeping the lower level between 40-50% humidity. Currently it is reading 25% and the air upstairs is dry!!!! What are my best options, currently the wife is running one of those one gallon wallgreen’s special to get me to do something?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

We run this one in a similar size house. If you crank it up, the windows will be dripping water in no time! Set it at about 45%. Change the wick/filter one a year. Works great!

Humidifyer

-J.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Do you have a forced air furnace?
    If so, something like a Aprilaire add on humidifier would work well.

Al

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Yep forced air and we do have one of those air boxes already.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

So you have a add on humidifier???

If so, doesn’t it work??

Al

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Have a summerair superventor heat recovery ventilator and carrier furnace.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Not familar with the HRV, but I think you should be able to add a humidifier if the HRV doesn’t do it.

Al

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

that you are talking about is an air exchange unit hooked up to your furnace (this brings stale air out and fresh air in) you would want a humidifier that mounts on the return side of your furnace it adds moisture to your return and your fan would come on and go through the house.. these do have a filter that gets messy when you replace it.. which is once a year, rule of thumb.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Thanks for the responses. Yesterday afternoon had an aprilaire whole home system added to the furnace. Went with the bypass model with automatic controller that monitors and alters rate based on outside temperature. Started it up at 8pm last night and slept great. Wife actually has the thermostat down 2 degrees from her normal setting and is thinking of dropping another.

Looks like a winner!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.