Terrova Controller alternatives

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I found two things wrong with the controllers for my Terrova as provided by Minnkota. First, when Winter fishing, the I-Pilot buttons are too small to accurately press when wearing gloves. Likewise, the foot controller slides around on the floor and my size 14 pac boots just aren’t very petite (understatement) to press the correct pedals . I had a hand controller setup made for my old PD55 so I fabricated this setup for the Terrova. The I-Pilot controller is held into a cradle designed by RAM mounts for the H2Oc hand held GPS. Turned 180 degrees, the I-Pilot controller fit right into the cradle and I secured it with a wing nut . This gives me easy access to the buttons in case I want to press spot lock, or re-follow a track. It also gives me an easy line of sight to the display for speed control. The Terrova foot controller is mounted to a 1/2 inch piece of exterior plywood, and the entire pedal assembly held to the boat with the large RAM mount fastened to a Minnkota base that holds my Anchormate when I have that in the boat. I can remove the whole assembly in 30 seconds and stow it under the floor. I have found when vertical jigging on the river, using 2 rods, I can press the left and right steering buttons with either my fingers or with the butt ends of my rods. This setup gives me far better boat control than trying to use my boot on the floor mounted pedal or with fumbly finger fat gloves trying to press tiny buttons on the I-Pilot remote.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Now that’s creative

rockola

You must be very knowageable on the Terrova. Please tell me if the transition from cable to an i-pilot will be be hard for an old man that has used nothing but cable from back in the day. I just cant keep my foot in one spot anymore all day and this seems to be the answer for my prayers. It is a big jump for me when you live on social s. any help would be very greatful.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

There is no transition to make. The foot controller remains connected via cable and the I-Pilot controller is a wireless remote control,so they can co-exist just fine. I like this setup especially for Winter fishing on Pool 4. Contact me if you want to talk about any of this. Just PM me and I’ll arrange a time.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Now if they only would put a brite yellow on the remote pad icons so I could see what the heck I needed to push with my old eyes!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

“Necessity is the mother of invention.”

Nice work LundgEYE!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Now if they only would put a brite yellow on the remote pad icons so I could see what the heck I needed to push with my old eyes!

X2 Probably why I still use the foot control so much.

All that stuff on the bow doesn’t get in the way of lifting the trolling motor in and out does it?

Al

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Al,
    No, there is nothing in the way of the motor going up or down, just as if nothing was on the deck at all.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks, looks good then..

Al

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.