Rod Advice…

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Guys, that post the other day about a jig dragging rod got me thinking. What do I need to ad to my arsenal this year? I was looking at two rods- the 6’3″ Legend Xtreme MXF and the 7′ Legend Xtreme MF. I know what I want the 6’3″ for, vertical jigging, I will be buying that for sure- I’ve had a crush on it since Dean let me use it last fall. But, my 7′ medium I had a few goals for. One, a jig dragging rod. Will this work? Mainly I want to use it for fishing wingdams. Down on Pool 11 we routinely use size 8 and 9 shad raps and I wanted the medium power to work the crank baits with overloading my rod. Also, I wanted to be able to use this rod for pitching jigs at wingdams as well. I was wondering if this rod would be able to achieve the crankbait and jig pitching chores adequately, but also, double over as a jig dragging rod in it’s spare time. It seemed like a really versitle rod to me, but in my experience, sometimes rods that are good at many things aren’t great at anything. Let me know where this rod would shine. Thanks for the help, and is winter over yet?

bucknrut

I was in the same boat last year at this time (no pun intended). I already had the 6’3 Legend Tournament. My favorite vertical rod ever. I bought the 7′ mf Legend Tourney because it’s a workhorse ,jack-of-all-trades rod. My wife allowed me to buy the 6’8 mxf later last winter ,which took care of the dragging rod. Then, in late summer, I picked up the 7′ mod spinning Legend Tourney, which took care of cranking. But if you only get one rod, get the 7′ rod over the 6’3. It does everything well. By the way, Mr. Holst was a big help to me in making these decisions. Maybe if he sees this post, he’ll put in his 2 cents. Hopefully ,you have a wife who gets tired of you talking about all these rods and finally tells you to ” just buy the damn things ,already!” She’s a keeper!

avery2408
    Iowa

Well Steve here is what you need to do. Take a look at the arsenol that you carry right now. I know for a fact that in your arsenol you have a six foot one power GLX that rod is a champion for the vertical jigging presentation. You need to forget about buying another verticle jigging rod and buy both the 7 foot medium legend extreme and also the 7 foot ML Extreme. Bam!!!! Your problems are solved. You will then have the ultimate rod for both presentations. Just think Steve, if you did not literally just sell me your 7 foot legend elite you probably would only have to buy one rod!!! Buy the way, thank you!!! Dean will appreciate your business.

maurice

re-dragging rod—i have been dragging 1/16–1/8 oz jigs for over twenty years and the favorite rod of choice doing this is a 4 1/2 foot ultralite –have hauled in several trophys from 10 to 13 lbs –lots of fun–love that style of fishing–snagged

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Well Steve here is what you need to do. Take a look at the arsenol that you carry right now. I know for a fact that in your arsenol you have a six foot one power GLX that rod is a champion for the vertical jigging presentation. You need to forget about buying another verticle jigging rod and buy both the 7 foot medium legend extreme and also the 7 foot ML Extreme. Bam!!!! Your problems are solved. You will then have the ultimate rod for both presentations. Just think Steve, if you did not literally just sell me your 7 foot legend elite you probably would only have to buy one rod!!! Buy the way, thank you!!! Dean will appreciate your business.

LOL…yes I would! But seriously,good advice to take inventory and fill the gaps accordingly.I think the 7 ft is spot on for your “multi” use application. However, if cranking a bunch the value of a Moderate action is tough to beat for optimum crank bait presentations and for the moment of truth when landing those better fish. The good news is that you don’t have to spend a arm & leg for that rod. As always, you are more than welcome to do the on water test run for your own evaluation.

Is it spring yet?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.