Shimano reel?

• walleyejgr

getting a Shimano for my birthday.But need help on witch one and size.It will be going on my Eyecon 6’8″.Kinda like the Stradic,never owned a shimano before.thanks for any help

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

i also like the symetre but not the rear drag(personal preferance) i own 4 of them all are 2000s.
    not so sure on the newest model symetres though, they kinda looked cheap at the store. the ones i have are 5 years old and built like a tank, i have used and abused em and have never had a problem with them.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I like the Symetre 1000 reels, very smooth. I use them with mostly light lines, like 4-6 pound test. If you’re using heavier line I’d go with a little bigger spool.

igotone

SY1000FJ is the best size for weight the next one the 2500 is just over 10oz~~ way to heavy in my book

If you are spending in the $100 range I would take a look at the Pflueger Supreme

Go with the 8030MG more line capacity about same weight and U can not believe the feel of this reel. More full size design and light weight

Go to a store that cares both and compare side by side

The Pflueger President is an darn good reel for about half the money only thing is it also is heavy when you go to the size that holds around 120 yards of 6 lb test

To me that is the prefect size reel One that holds around 120 yards of 6lb test

the balance and feel for jigging an rigging is best 4 me at this size

That is why I am sold on the Pflueger Supreme

coming in at 7.4 OZ and 160 yards of 6lb test

U can also put a 100yds of 8-10lb line on this spool

Check out the 8030MG

Not to dirty the water But I beleive they R coming out with some new models this spring

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Been using the Symetre’s for the last few years. Can’t stand rear drag, but that is a personal preferrence. The Symetre has changed a bit over the last few years, but both old and new versions are great value for the $ you spend. I agree on the 2500 series being too large, unless you have bear paws for hands. Knuckle scratching from the bail during retrieve is not much fun…

stevenoak

Most all my spinning reels are Stradics.The newer ones are far better than my earlier ones.Size to me would depend on what line size you want to run.Mono or braid.I use mostly 1000’s as I use mostly braid or 8# or smaller mono.Anly thing heavier I use a thumbbuster.As far as rear drag I have always understood the drag surface is smaller and less affective on a rear drag reel.No doubt rear drag location is easier to get to.But I usually preset my drag before I need it…..Usually They are bullet proof I have a couple that were fished hard for over 10 years and sent them for a tune up and with a good cleaning{their first} and a couple dollars in parts they were like new again.Hope this helps

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

SY1000 is a very nice reel.

I do have 2 of the Pflueger Supremes 8030MG also though, and they tend to get more play time…

walleyejgr

this ain’t my doins,it’s the wife’s .Why she chose Shimano????

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If she’s set on a shimano, then there isn’t much one can complain about. Every manufacture has their top of the line and quality down grades to get a reel to fit just about every budget.
    I pro-staff for Quatum, and love the reels that I have. Smooth, light weight, balanced nice on the rods I use, and the drags are very reliable.
    I still have a few Stradics, and won’t give them up. The 2000’s have held up to the abuse of steelhead, chinooks, and browns on Lake MI. In fact, Cougareye caught a couple one morning he was down on reels that have about 6 or 7 years of use. Still as smooth as the day they were new.

Plug’s – I staffed for them for awhile, and like their very top of the line reels, the 90’s series (Supreme XT) (gold in color) They also have held up very well. One feature I really like is the heavy gage bail wire. I’ve had the side plates crack, but the return / exchange on them have been pleasant to deal with. I have burned up the regular supreme and was happy when I got rid of them all.
    The Quantum Catalyst is a reel I have used for two years now including ice fishing for trout and smaller fish. I couldn’t be any more pleased with them, and that isn’t their top end reels.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

SY1000 is a very nice reel.

I do have 2 of the Pflueger Supremes 8030MG also though, and they tend to get more play time…

X2 – Started the switch to all Pfluegers last year – Great reels at any price!!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

If the little woman is willing to spring for a new Shimano I’d lean toward the Stradics…..still. I too have grown very fond of the Pflueger Supreme XT’s but my old Stradics have nothing to be ashamed of…..I just haven’t liked the newer model designs (2007 and newer). As for rear drag, time and experience pulled me away from the rear drag systems…..fronts are just better and when you’re dialed in, mid-fight adjustments just don’t come along often enough to wish a better rear drag system/design was available.

Stradics are a “bread and butter” staple for Shimano…..you’ll do fine to have one of those on your rod. If you can find a 1000 with a mag spool, those are really sweet…..benefits of a larger spool without the knuckle thumps or added weight of a 2500.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I have a boat full of Stradics….and I would buy a couple more of the new one’s if I had a money tree.

Pap

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Happy Birthday!

PM sent….

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

Quote:

i also like the symetre but not the rear drag(personal preferance) i own 4 of them all are 2000s.
    not so sure on the newest model symetres though, they kinda looked cheap at the store. the ones i have are 5 years old and built like a tank, i have used and abused em and have never had a problem with them.

I have a couple of the older symetres and like them very much. Never had and problems with them at all.

Ducks

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I own about 8 of the symetres and have yet to have a problem with them. I use them probally 100 days out of the year and abuse them pretty bad. Everything from jigging and casting to even trolling.

If you want to go a step higher the Stradic’s are a very nice reliable reel also!!!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Stradic is pretty much the benchmark that all other manufactures makes their reels to compare against.

Stradic 1000 size will do fine. I like 4 or 6# test on the reel. Comes with spare spool so you can pick a second type of line.
    Stradic 2500 or 3000 are current models in the next size up. It’s the same size reel, but the spools have different depth (with the 3000 a deeper spool). The handles are different too. 2500 has a T-knob handle. 3000 has a spade paddle handle.

walleyejgr

I would like to thank all who replied to this THANK YOU!!!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.