Suffix 832

• walleyejgr

wondering how the 832 will hold up cat/flathead fishing? By this I mean the line sliding through the sinker. I use the no snag/tear drop style from 1oz – 8oz. I know they have a tendicy of burring up mono.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The advantages of 832 aren’t clear to me for flathead fishing.

I haven’t had my line rot off the spool from being soaked in water yet and at $22. for 150 yards I would need to see some clear advantage.

If there’s something I’m missing…I’m all ears!

roadhunter

Sufix 832 is 8 carrier dyneema woven at 32 pics per inch. Because it uses more dyneema per inch, it makes it the strongest line per diameter on the market. 8 carriers also makes it rounder than 4 or 6 carrier lines. The Gore fiber gives it abrasion resistence. I would think this would make it great line for use with slip sinkers.

The line sells for 19.99 at Dick’s and Power Pro is 15.99. I think it is worth the extra $4. Good Luck.

By the way, the idea for using Gore in braided lines came from the shipping industry. They use Gore fibers in the mooring lines for ships to increase the durability so the dyneema fibers do not damage themselves.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Roadhunter, it sounds like you know something about this stuff.

Isn’t Dyneema the same as Spectra for the abrasion resistance and the Gore for repelling water?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

The advantages of 832 aren’t clear to me for flathead fishing.

If there’s something I’m missing…I’m all ears!

BK, Bk, BK, you have once again left yourself wide open. Not “all ears”…your the only person I know that wears a nose warmer.

Back to the topic,although I have yet to use the Heavy weight offerings,I suspect they will find some similar benefits of what we have seen thus far in the 6 & 10 # weights.With that said,we all know that not everyone is in universal agreement on line brands. I do look forward to the reviews including yours when we actually put the 832 to the on water test real time!

roadhunter

Dyneema and Spectra are similar materials but different trade names. The primary function of the Gore fiber is to add abrasion resistence. Secondary benefits are that it reduces the amount of water that is held in the braid. Also, the Gore makes the line smoother giving it great castability and the added weight of Gore fiber helps prevent wind knots. I know it sounds too good to be true but this line has been tested for over 2 years and I think everyone who has tried it agrees that it is am improvement against other lines on the market in terms of strength, casting distance, handling charcteristics and abrasion resistence. It is not the best at everything but overall it is a great line. One other note, the Gore fiber is dense which makes the line slowly sink and give slightly better sensetivity. I hope you try it but i also understand everyone has their preference.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks again mister road hunter.

I had to laugh. wind knots are not a problem with a 4 oz sinker another 5 oz bullhead.

Sprinkle an abrasion resistance is everything in the catfish world

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That was supposed to be strengthened not sprinkles and dean I know you one.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

No real world field tests as of yet. However some loose basement testing…

I got some 20# and did my own mumbo jumbo knot and came up with only about 19# of knot break. Well line broke right at the knot so it’s a knot break for what I’m calling it and not a knot failure of any sort. Yes I tested the palomar knot as well and it only gave me a 17# 8 oz. knot break.

Compared to the following:
    Performance braid of 20# with 18# 13 oz. knot break.
    Fireline braid 20/6 with 24# 9 oz. knot break.
    Fireline Original 14# with 19# 12 oz. knot break.

In terms of strength Fireline braid will be what I’m going with. In terms of sink feature that Sufix 832 is useful. In compareing 8 strands braided Fireline braid 30/8 with Sufix 832 in equivalent 30#. the Fireline braid is smoother and softer. The Sufix 832 has more body to it. Sufix 832 braid isn’t a perfect answer, nor clear winner, but merely another useful tool with it’s own unique properties.

I did some noise test of 50# 832 vs 50# Spiderwire Stealth. Of course the Stealth is softer and has less body, so it goes that the Stealth came of with less noise through some stainless steel guides. Then again I’m half deaf so it has to be quite obvious for me to hear the difference.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Any idea of their process capability? Did you sample line from more than one spool for each of your types?

If it truly was 24lbs, provided your test process and measurement system is sound, with a 20lb claim (target) if their process was centered you could have 16lb break point line as well.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I guess if you look at other lines.. they are 8lb diameter at 32 strength.. I don’t see this as a major difference..

except that AL has a new sponsor.. and this year its not Triline..

grey-beard
    McFarland, Wisconsin

I was hoping the 832 and the Gortex would decrease icing up so I could keep using a superline for pitching plastics late season. I didn’t get a chance to use it before everything iced up but my brother did. He said it iced up just like the other superlines but seemed easier to get the ice off the line with your fingers. That may have been because it was new and hadn’t developed any “fuzz” yet. I’ve found that Fireline is slightly better than PowerPro for icing up but mono rules when it’s really cold.

Disappointed to see the knot strength data. I think that flies in the face of what the company says so good to get an independant review. Lucky me found it on sale before Christmas on line Cabela for $19.99/300yd. Maybe not so lucky if the knot strength isn’t up to par.

Grey Beard

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I’m guessing that one gore thread isn’t quite enough. I’ll like to see two gore threads instead so making the line more balanced per say.

As much as I like Sufix Performance Braid and it’s strength properties. I’m glad that Sufix 832 did show an improvement in the strength. Not as much as the literature pamphlet in the package says.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.