Direct TV or Dish

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Sick of charter cable they currently provide my tv and internet. Looking into alternatives. What do you guys recommend? I am sure this will be a HB & Lowrance type debate, so let’s here it. And for the record at&t uverse is not available in my area.

mule170
    Bemidji

Im very happy with Direct tv. We got tired of getting ripped of by Charter. The only down fall of Direct tv is loosing signal in bad weather, but it only happens for a few minutes and a couple times a year.

joea
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve got Dish, and it seems the first sign of rain or snow, and my signal goes out. I’m actually considering going back to cable, because I’m tired of not being able to get a signal in the slightest of weather.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

I have Dish Network and pleased with it – the 200 channel package with DVR which is really a nice tool. I would look at their respective channel offerings and also check with both to see what kind of special deals they may have for you as a new customer – make em work for your business. Good luck.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I have had directv for 8 years plus.. and its superior to cable in every way.. I would make it a point to use a referral when you order.. that way YOU GET $100 and so does your friend.

and as for loss of signal.. only when I get the highest thunderstorms.. and NEVER with snow. and we have had a ton this year. the most my signal was out ever was less then 5 minutes. EVER in 8 plus years.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Request an HR24 when you order. this is the finest cable box available. super fast.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Love my direct tv. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I took my cable box in to Charter and told them where they could put it. I have never had an extended weather outage. It has to come down really hard to affect the signal, and if it does, it is only for a couple minutes.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

What do you guys do for internet? We dont have a landline Phone.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Check around your area for wireless internet providers. I live in the woods, I have DirectTv and wireless through Citescape. I did have to put up a 40′ tower for internet… well worht it though, I can get on IDO very easily

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Yeah.. my internet service sucks.. and its thru my phone company..

a ton of people I know use charter for internet.. but others use the land line phone company..

but for TV, Directv is SUPERIOR.

danno
    Central MN

DISH is SUPERIOR.

See, I can do it too.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had DirecTV bundled with home phone and internet with Qwest. Their internet was crap. Comcast recently came knocking and offered a killer deal, so I switched it all over. After a few days, I cancelled their cable because we liked DirecTV so much better, but we are sticking with the cable internet.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

What do you guys do for internet? We dont have a landline Phone.

Depending on the DSL provider, you don’t always need to have a landline. I have my DSL through Frontier (formerly Verizon) and they don’t require a phone line.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

hey.. nothing about any of my posts are personal.. zero.. but going to the AVS forums for 8 years, plus watching the actual growth numbers, (Directv has close to doubled in the past 8 years) once you have really watched both, Directv is better. far more sports. Sunday ticket, MLB, NBA, almost all the outdoor channels, Nascar in car for free, Directv is better then dish at this time..
    but this doesn’t reflect on a personalities..

big_g
    Isle, MN

DISH is also not very MN Sports friendly at the time… They have issues with contracts, which DirectTV has the brawn and numbers to get done… I see DISH and DirectTV going the way of Sirius and XM radio…. merger…. with DirectTV emerging the 1

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

They have issues with contracts, which DirectTV has the brawn and numbers to get done…

You mean that brawn they used in the Versus hold out a while back?

Not sure what is meant by not “MN sports friendly”. No issues here.

DISH has superior picture quality, which is another reason to look at them. Don’t know many that could argue with that as it’s pretty well known that Direct’s quality, especially on the non-HD channels, is very substandard.

Oh well, good luck.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I guess that I refer you to the DBSTALK forum. and out and out, guys who had both Dish and Directv, have switched to Directv. right now, they have capacity for more HD, and they have a new bird going up in the next year, DIRECT14.

sports wise ,it isn’t close.

I wish you well in your decision. and to all HAPPY NEW YEAR.

hnd

you can’t go wrong with either. they are both superior to 95% of cable lineups. we switched from direct tv to dish because we got more for our money. more channels, more hd, more rooms for less. make sure you have a reputable installer do it. they can line up the dish where you have minimal interference in only the biggest of storms.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Dish I think is probably a little better, customer service with direct really sucks from everything I hear. Ida probably just go with the best deal and stock with charter got internet as much as I really hate charter myself thee isn’t many choices for energy that are imho worth it, I strongly dislike charter

Hillbiehle

I like Dish simply because the remote is easy to use. To me, an unecumbered remote control with easy to use DVR functions is very important to me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.