tire wear

• fieds
    ottertail county

I have premature tire wear on the inside edges of my boat trailer tires. Would moving the axle further back take more weight off the trailer and transfer it to the tounge and eliminate this or is the boat too heavy. i run a 175 navigator with a single axle karavan classic trailer rated at 2400 lbs load capacity. 75 hp etec tiller and i never travel with more than a 1/4 tank of gas. the original tailer tires were 35 psi rated wich wore out. i did some more alignment adjusting of the axle and switched to steel belted tires that i run at 50 psi. the tires were put on in april and already show wear on the insides.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Tires wearing on inside only, 1 of two things, sprung axle or overloaded.

big G

ronc

Make sure your tire pressure is up to the maximum. One trip on low tire pressure can ruin trailer tires.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Tires wearing on inside only, 1 of two things, sprung axle or overloaded.

big G

x2

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I’d agree, over loaded is easy to do, sprung or “bent” axles easy enough to do on our great pothole roads….

Check your pressures, then do some measurements. inside to inside should be the same front of the tires and back of the tires. If not, your sprung or bent. If they look ‘bow legged’, your over loaded. They shouldn’t squat outwards.

Hope you understand this and hope it helps….

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

It’s amazing how many bow legged trailers you can follow down the road. There are a lot of over loaded trailers running down the road.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Maybe it might be worth it to have a garage align the trailer for you. They can tell you if the axel is bent or not during the alignment process.

fieds
    ottertail county

looks like a sprung axle. measuring the inside distances between the rear of the tires then the front side of the tires the front side is a little over a half inch wider.

i hadn’t thought of that measurement, i was concentrating on the distance from tire to rear of trailer. thanks.

fieds

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.