External or internal

• uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

Still researching on electronics update for my boat, what are the advantages between internal and external antenna for a depth sounder gps combo. It seems that it cost 100 bucks more for a external unit, worth it? also bird or Lowrance? Thanks Guys

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Still researching on electronics update for my boat, what are the advantages between internal and external antenna for a depth sounder gps combo. It seems that it cost 100 bucks more for a external unit, worth it? also bird or Lowrance? Thanks Guys

One advantage of the internal is that you don’t have to decide where to mount an antenna and how you’re going to
    route the cable to it.

Another advantage is you can use it as a portable unit in
    your truck, on your atv, or for ice fishing, without having
    to bring an antenna along with you.

If you plan to flush mount your unit you will definitely need the external antenna.

The Lowrance HDS line all have internal antennas with an
    external option. I haven’t had a single issue with the internal locking on quickly and staying locked. It will even lock on in my garage.

Good luck with your decision!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

We have a great source of info here on the IDO staff that sells all that equipment…both Lowrance and the Birds.
    Wade Kuehl

I have been running an LMS 332C combo unit for almost 5 years now…while the unit has been great, I have been through 4 external antennaes …So I contacted Wade and he advised me to
    1) stay with Lowrance since all my GPS maps were Lakemaster
    2) I should try an internal antenna
    3) neither Bird or Lowr have any advantage (per his sales) being problem free on the 2D combo units.
    I ordered a Lowrance Elite 5M, which I will download 5 years of waypoints to from my 332C.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I want my GPS puck right over my transducer so when I save a waypoint or recording for mapping, the waypoint is more accurate.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I want my GPS puck right over my transducer so when I save a waypoint or recording for mapping, the waypoint is more accurate.

How would you determine where you are marking your waypoint when your estimated position error (EPE), is off by 9 feet?

You could actually mark a waypoint at the console, with an
    antenna mounted at the bow, and be dead on with that waypoint at the transducer.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

If the transducer and the antenna are in the same position and the EPE is 9 ft, yes you could be off by 9 feet. If the transducer and antenna are 9 ft apart and the EPE is 9 feet, you could be right on but you could also be off by 18 feet. I would think minimizing the possible error would be preferred.

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ve had the 332c for 5 years and never had an issue with my external puck. I use it in my truck Ice fishing and mount it in the boat for fishing during the summer.

My buddy has the internal 520 and he has a tough time getting a signal in the truck with his.
    I do believe the new HDS are much better with the internal puck.
    Whatsa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.