Drift Sock Size For Trolling

• LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

In the past, there have been some really good discussions (and video) regarding use of wind socks for trolling. I have a 17′ Sylvan with a 115 Merc. As I recall, twin 30″ socks were a good fit for a setup like mine, but seems like all I see in the stores are 25″ or 40″+. The 40″ seems a bit big for trying to troll, so I’m leaning toward the 25″ for that purpose alone (I have larger socks for drifting). Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jim

><(((>

Todders

I have an 18′ sylvan with a yamaha 115 and bought the 18″ or 22″ sock and strung it up to a skier harness and have not yet been in a situation where I couldn’t get to 1.7. Not as ideal as a vantage but it’s cheap and it works well w/out messing up your steering capabilities.

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

The skier harness is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Cabela’s sells 30″ socks in the Advanced Angler line and have had some good deals on them this spring. Also, check out the Lindy website for the rigging socks to the middle of you boat to keep the bow under control in windy conditions.

skeeter101
    Oak Grove, MN

I have the same problem because I cheaped out and skipped that kicker I should have bought! I have a pair of 18″, 24″, and 30″, I will hook up 1 on each stearn hook so it does not interrupt boat control. When I need to dial in that speed I just swap out a drift sock or two! This works better than trying to do it with the throttle on those big motors, because 50 rpm makes a huge difference! I bought all mine on eBay! They have all kinds of sizes and even with shipping they are much cheaper than any store!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Here is a post I put up some time last year, I too use 30″ drift socks. That I got from Cabelas.

There is a difference between drift socks and trolling socks. Drift socks have a dump hole and, trolling socks do not they are just cone shaped. None the less Cabelas sell both. You can pick drift socks up out of the water a lot easier, the cost a little more but it is well worth the extra money.

If you don'[t have a Cabelas close by you can order them on line. Heck you could probibally order them from Everts Resort…

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

For trolling you can also use two 5 gallon buckets on either side of the boat much cheaper than drifft socks. Let out just enough rope to keep out of your prop, buckets will not interfear with you line like dift socks can.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

For trolling you can also use two 5 gallon buckets on either side of the boat much cheaper than drifft socks. Let out just enough rope to keep out of your prop, buckets will not interfear with you line like dift socks can.

thats a great idea. Never really thought about that

LimpFish
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota

Great input guys…thanks!

><(((>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.