In the IDO Mail Box Today

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

was this email and photos.

Hi i am Dan Olmanson, i am from Waseca Mn, i am a bemidji state university student. I thought this was pretty cool so I figured I would share it with you. I caught this gentle giant on April 5th 2010 on the rainy river. This lake sturgeon was 67″ long with a 36″ girth its estimated weight is around 125 pounds. it was a Catch and Release. It took three of use to land this fish, all we had was a walleye net. The two guys that where with me are also bemidji state university students they are John Holmgren from Roseau, Mn, and Brett Wittman from Warroad, Mn.

Thank you, Dan Olmanson

Now that is a big fish!

Thank YOU Dan and crew!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

OH EM GEE

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Holy hell! I’ve personally seen a 67″ x 30″, but this one is a freak of nature!

stuart
    Mn.

What a tanker.

larry_haugh
    MN

That is a year maker…. Nice fish.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

I have seen hundreds of Sturgeon come out of the Rainy and that thing is freaking huge!

Great job!

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Holy crap

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s been a number of state record breakers over the last two or so years. The 85″ that a couple of girls caught is the first one that comes to mind and Jack Nalor’s (estimated) 97 pounder from last year.

The first year of the Sturgeon Excursion (5 years ago) we were all shooting for a 50+ inch fish. The DNR first started reporting fish over 100 pounds showing up in their nets that year.

Since that first year the bar seems to have grown. Now 60+ inches is the number as 50’s are very common.

For those of you that haven’t tangled with a sturgeon before, 50 inches is an adrenaline rush, 60 inches will be the most fun you’ve ever had standing up!

Since the “season” opens this coming Saturday, there are a number of us that feel the MN record of 90 pounds will fall this year.

Great looking fish and even better photo’s!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Great pictures!
    Pretty cool stuff right there and that’s coming from a guy who isn’t even into fishing for sturgeon.

Congratulations on a great catch.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

What a tanker!

chris dymale
    west bend, wi

nice. what pound line were you using?
    I was on the ice when the guy in wisconsin (lake winnebago) when he brought in the 212 lb monster spearing.

I am not a sturgeon guy either, but these things are so dinosaur lookin that they are just great to view. It’s amazing how old they are too.

great job!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fantastic. We ran into those guys at the landing yesterday and seen those pictures. That is a true fish. Mentioned to them about posting it hear. Glad to see it show up on hear. Welcome to the site guys.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Just to echo Mike’s post. Good to meet you guys at the ramp yesterday and congrats on a great fish!!! That thing is freaking huge!!

-J.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Heck of a tank.
    congrats…

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Great Fish! Just goes to show you guys from BSU can handle anything.
    Go Beavers! Class of 85

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

WOW!! What a beaut!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Where is the fainting emoticon? I can’t even think of the proper adjective for that fish. The best part of the email was him calling it a ‘gentle giant’. Such affection for these beautiful fish.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I see these guys got some air time tonight on the news with the photos of that Sturgeon. The fish deserved to some air time. Once again great fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Which channel Mikester?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Channel 11.

olma1dan
    Bemidji, mn and Waseca, mn

How awesome was that i never expected that to happen pretty freakin sweet

chomps
    Sioux City IA

welcome to the site! Congrats on the fish of a lifetime, well…at least a tough fish to top!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The Comic Store Guy says, “Best IDO Avatar Ever!”.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

The Comic Store Guy says, “Best IDO Avatar Ever!”.

That is one nice tanker

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.