What reel would you suggest?

• jld235
    Eau Claire

I just bought my first St. Croix rod. It’s a 6’6″ MF spinning Legend Elite. I’m going to use it primarily for pitching jig for walleyes. Any suggestions on what reel would balance out the rod well? Thanks for your expertise!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

That is a great all round rod and only 3.4 0z. That will balance out perfectly with a light weight reel…under 8.5oz
    Either Pfleuger Supreme or Arbor (30 size) are very light for their line capacity…as are the Shimano Sahara/Symetre 1000/1500. I use smaller reels on all my walleye rods, generally 110-130 yds of 6# test mono capacity.
    Don’t know your budget but the new Abu Garcia Soron is getting some great reviews also.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

JD – I pretty much agree with Tom. Depending on your budget there are a number of Pflueger (President, Arbor, Supreme) or Shimano (Sedona, Sahara, Senora, Symetre) spinning reels that would work well on that rod for $50 to $100. Pay attention to the weight of each reel. You should be able to keep it between 7 and 9 oz.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Pflueger Supreme 9025 XT is what I have on Croix Tournament Walleye rod and love it.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Had great luck with quantum energy pti’s. Pricey but they perform and look cool. I wouldn’t put a 50 dollar reel on a rod like that.

mule170
    Bemidji

I have a Avid 6’8″ MXF with a Pflueger Arbor and I absolutly love the combo. The Arbor reel matches the St.Croix rods well. Give Dean at Evert’s a call and he can help you out

packers12

Pfleuger Supreme it takes a beating and will still preform. love them

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

I agree the pflueger supremes are nice. I also like the shimano stradics if you feel like spending a bit more. Dan

jslsfish4u
    Cold Spring,MN

Our group uses Shimano reels exclusively on our St. Croix rods. We all agree that they work great for any type of fishing. Symetre or Stradics. You spent good money on a GREAT rod, so spend the money on a GREAT reel.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Shimano Stradic will impress the heck out of you with that rod.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I think a zebco 33 classic would balance that out perfectly…

walleyehunter83

I usually try to stay around the $80 mark. The rod is the most important part. I know the gear system is important, but once you get 3-5 ball bearing, all reels are going to work fine. A lot of people if they are fighting bigger fish back reel anyway. With that said, I love my sahara’s.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would go with as much Shimano as you care to afford.
    Sedona or Symmetre.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

A little more expensive. But the Shimino Staric C14 is a sweet looking setup. Coming in at 3oz lighter than the Symetre and has 2 more bearings.

I have been running Symetres and I really like them.

jld235
    Eau Claire

Thanks everyone! As always, I appreciate the advise. Now I have to find time to get on the water.

Tight lines.
    JD

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I think a zebco 33 classic would balance that out perfectly…

Or the great one! The JOHNSON CENTURY….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.