North Dakota Fighting Sioux #1

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

The North Dakota Fighting Sioux took care of St. Cloud tonight 5-3, with the the last goal being an empty net goal. Congratulations to the Sioux Team from the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks….Whoop Whoop Whoop…now the wait to see where they’ll play next weekend.

big_g
    Isle, MN

huh….. last hockey game I watched, the Gophers put a hurt on the Sue…. I believe it was a week ago, saturday night…

big G

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

huh….. last hockey game I watched, the Gophers put a hurt on the Sue.

Sue is a girls name.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Better than the ND Flicker Tails if the NCAA gets their way and forces them to drop the Fighting Souix.

jldii

If they change their name, they’ll have to find a new stadium to play in. Englestad is privately owned and UND is allowed to play there as long as they want unles they change their name, then they are out.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s what I don’t get…..if the Fighting Sue is an issue… then why isn’t the Fighting Irish ????

big G

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Big G, That was my question as well. From what I have been told Notre Dame consulted with the Irish community and they gave them the OK when they chose that name. I have no proof of this, just what I was told.

jldii

It some PC BS. Ethnic sensitivity or something the NCAA is doing. Making all teams with Indian names change to something else. Its a big problem in ND though, because the Englestad’s own the stadium, not the state, and a clause in the agreement says if the school changes its team’s name they can not play in Englestad arena. The NCAA says they won’t allow the NCAA tourney to come there again until the school changes their name, and if they do, they won’t have a place to host the NCAA tourney or play anymore!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Congrats to the Sioux!
    They did a great job fighting back from a 2-0 score after the first minute!
    SCSU had a very good season and I expect them to also be invited to the NCAA tourney.

As far as the Sioux name. I asked some Sioux fans about it when they came to St. Cloud this year. They said they need two Sioux Tribes to sign off on the name and they are good to keep the name. At this point I guess one had agreed.

It’s BS and we all know it.

seeds
    Bluff Country

Go Sioux! A really exciting game last night at the X! The first minute was very interesting I will say that…

I think SCSU and UND will do well in the tourney!

rmartin
    United States

Congrats to the Sioux, but now the real post season begins. The WCHA has 4 teams in the tourney, but there are 5 other divisions and 12 other teams vying for the NCAA championship. pairings
    TV schedule

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Interesting that Wisconsin got the #1 seed in the West and SCSU got the #2 seed.

Goes to show the WCHA tournament means very little.

rmartin
    United States

It is based on overall record compared to all of the other teams in College hockey. Denver got beat twice and is still a #1 seed. Winning your division is an automatic bid. Winning the Broadmoor trophy is like winning the NFC Central.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Quote:

If they change their name, they’ll have to find a new stadium to play in. Englestad is privately owned and UND is allowed to play there as long as they want unles they change their name, then they are out.

The arena mgmt was asked this a few years ago and said that it was not the case. The arena will remain open to UND regardless of the nickname.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

The arena mgmt was asked this a few years ago and said that it was not the case. The arena will remain open to UND regardless of the nickname.

Of course it will remain the home of the Sioux regardless of the silly name change issue.

Wisconsin is and has been a better team than SCSU so hence the higher seed.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seeds are a starting point…. I say we actually wait until the tourney unfolds, to see who the better team is…..

big G

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.