Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Quote:

Every year I say I am gonna… but never seem to do it One of these years

big G

Just think if there was a beer tree you could tap G

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

My neighbor does it each year. A question for you though. Do you have to tap sugar maples or is any mable good?

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Don’t tap mables. Sorry, the funny guy in me likes spelling, usually it is me. On the other hand, all maples are good, even box elders work. The deal is sugar content, some trees give more, some less, the boil down is what kills you. You’re looking at a 50:1 ratio, sap to syrup, that’s why it’s pricey stuff. I tapped the beer tree this eve also, flowing great, WI green death.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

your going to go broke doing it with gas o’well looks to be a very bad year anyway.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My son is heading up to grampas this weekend to get started taping trees and collecting sap.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

we got over 200 tappers out and have gotten only about 90 gallons of sap so far less than 2 inches in the pales in 2 days, you guys know if small trees work better than big ones?They have been out for about 9 days now

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Quote:

we got over 200 tappers out and have gotten only about 90 gallons of sap so far less than 2 inches in the pales in 2 days, you guys know if small trees work better than big ones?They have been out for about 9 days now

Maybe the cooler temps this weekend will help.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote:

Don’t tap mables. Sorry, the funny guy in me likes spelling, usually it is me.

Didn’t catch that one

Then again didn’t know any mables either back in the day.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Yep, have to watch out for the mables. The weather has gotten too warm too quick for a good flow, but as mentioned maybe it will pick up this weekend, need below freezing at night and above during the day. Not burning gas! That’s a wood gassifier stove burning chunks of free pallets.

Red Door 1
    North Shore Mille Lacs in Wealthwood

Our crew tapped the trees Monday and only have about 1/2 gallon of sap per tap. Our weather has been way too warm with no feezing at night. This coming week looks to be colder and maybe will help. With no snow on the ground, it’s harder to get cold enough at night.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Sap started flow’n about two weeks ago up at the shack, had our first batch over waffles Sunday AM…mmmm
    Would like to engineer some sort of double walled square pan with one of those spouts that come on some of the turkey pots, then make up a wood burning oven to cook the sap down. The Red Door guys have a pretty nice sugar shack.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.