Minn Kota Maxxum

• big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

I was going to buy a new Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motor till a friend of mine said he had one the control board burned out in and he’d give it to me. All I had to do was repair it and save myself some bucks. But I have some questions. Is this an inherit problem with these motors? If so, am I going to spend the money to get it repaired only to have it happen again? He saya it runs on high just fine so he has to conclude it’s a control board problem. I talked to another guy who told me that Minn Kota had a problem with these boards burning out when they got too hot, but they solved the problem. I’m also wondering what the cost of said repair will run. Any ideas guys.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I have an 05 80# thrust maxxum and have no issues yet. Other than the light inside the arrow on top has burnt out. Its the powerdrives that you hear complaints on the foot pedals burning out on alot.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I personally think the guy is all wet. I have had my Minnkota Max bowmount for allmost 18 years and never an issue. I`d fix it I don`t think one can buy a more dependable trolling motor.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

I have had two Min Kota Maxims cable drive the board went out in one and had repairs done to it prior with no avail and new board is around 300 so i bought another one Used for 300 worked great for about 3 months now have had nothing but trouble with it had it in the shop for three weeks told me they fixed it payed 315.00 in parts and labor took it out last friday after i got it back still has same problem now i am wishing there are more than two brands of trolling motors out there

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I have a 1998 Maxxum with zero problems.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

For those who have had zero problems count yourself lucky. I have an 80lb lift assist that I replaced the board. Can find them online for about $150. The prior 3 that I had on other boats all had the same issues with the board. The biggest problem is that the performance is Sooo much better than motorguide that its worth it to me to keep replacing boards. Not sure if I am just having a bad string of luck but in the same breath I can say I am pretty hard on em.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I have a 2006 Maxxim 80 US2 and have had 2 problems that were under warranty. The first is that the board went out after a few months use. Last year the US2 started giving me false depth readings. If the board went bad on it I would replace it in a heart beat cuz it is like this trolling motor was made for my boat. I pull bouncers and 3-ways a lot with it a lot. And to verticle jig is quite a task as windy as it usually gets here in Kansas.

I say go for it. I also think the problem with your friends motor is the potentiaometer, which would be a lot cheeper to fix.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

Thanks 56twister. I’m taking it to Rudy at R&R in Clinton on Sat. I’ll mention that potentiameter to him and see what he says. Cheaper is always better.

shaley
    Milford IA

We had one on our muskie boat, while it’s never had a problem it has been replaced by a Terrova, be nice to be able to cast instead of fighting the trolling motor for a change.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’ve had 2 74lbs Maxxum motors, the first had the control board go bad after a year (fixed under warranty) The second has been going strong on the original board for 4 years now (fingers crossed – no more warranty left)

ted-merdan

i have owned 7 maxxum 101’s since 2002 and only had one switch replaced in the pedal – and I use mine hard and they do take a pounding on the deck of my boats because time is money.

I can tell this that on the PWT and FLW walleye tour I witnessed VERY few maxxum’s being repaired…

my $.02

-ted

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It would be interesting what type of trolling motor plug in`s are being used, if that could be factor. I have always used the big 4 prong 220 volt plugs, on all my trolling motors. Many of the standard plug in`s I have seen seem to want to run hot and start to melt the insides of the plug, and the gauge wire on many are not very heavy.

Gary L Long

I’m on my second Maxxum 101 and have had problems with the Maxxum pro bow mount yoke (broke an arm) nothing with the board.
    The biggest problem I have is getting parts as a few parts have been discontinued and it seems that all inventory has been purchased.
    I have tried motorguide (101) and had problems with the board (I think you may have something Tom).
    All that being said I would be interested in purchasing the Maxxum pro bow mount or just the yoke gas assist part

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.