motor problems

• mr. sauger25

my buddy took his boat to thr river yesterday has a 4 stroke 40 horse honda when motor was running did not spit water this was first time out this year and boat was in cold storage is it the water pump orjust pluged up if so what can i do to chech cant get it to the boat shop till monday and needs it for tourny this weekend

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Stick it in a garage with a torpedo heater and warm the whole rig up. Then, you can test it with some muffs or change out your water pump if necessary.
    It’s pretty common to not have your tell-tale peeing for a while due to some ice in the line. Once your motor warms up, it melts it out. Does it have a warning alarm to let you know it was overheating?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

yamaha good…

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Stick it in a garage with a torpedo heater and warm the whole rig up. Then, you can test it with some muffs or change out your water pump if necessary.
    It’s pretty common to not have your tell-tale peeing for a while due to some ice in the line. Once your motor warms up, it melts it out. Does it have a warning alarm to let you know it was overheating?

Yep what Doc said If the overheat alarm did not go off and not peeing right away……pretty common in winter. Also check the pee hose for mud fly stuff, they are good at pluging up small holes.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Sounds like the water pump if your alarm went off. There should be a past post here for changing out a water pump-think Jon Jordan posted it, maybe he will chime in here.

good luck.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is a link:

Water Pump Impeller Replacement

Pee hole lines get froze up all the time. Normally not a problem. Getting an alarm is a concern. Is it a constant alarm or intermediate? If it was an on/off on/off kind of alarm, that is the oil alarm. If constant, that is the overheat alarm.

If the boat was stored with water in the impeller housing and froze solid. When the drive shaft was turned over, it probably shredded the impeller or snapped the retaining pin. That’s why I always think its a good idea to turn the motor after pulling out of the water for the day. It assures the is zero water in the impeller housing.

Good news. 4 Strokers are hard to blow in cold weather. (Think about how hot your lawn mower gets in the summer) That and its a fix you can do in a couple hours in the garage. Good Luck,

-J.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I replaced my impeller a few times last year. just let the motor soak a bit to melt any ice that may have built up. It does take a few minutes to warm up. 10 or so on my 90 hp yammi sometimes. had warning go off too and then opened up. Most likley a minor issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.