Bad Image for Canada’s Womens Hockey Team

• jldii

It was a sad display the Canadian womens hockey team made after winning such a good game.

After the medals were awarded the team decided to have a party out on the olympic ice, complete with beer, champagne, and smoking cigars. Apparently some of the players tried to take the zamboni machine for a ride, and the press got a picture of one player pouring champagne into the mouth of the girl who scored both their goals yesterday. The problem is, that girl is only 18, under age to be drinking in that country.

Not a good image for all their young fans that have been idolizing them.

IOC and Canadian officials are investigating this and some discipline might be handed out.

big_g
    Isle, MN

And we think Tiger is so bad…..

big G

whittsend

Cold beer, zambonis, and women with no teeth that could beat the snot out of you….

Sounds like a party!

Celebration is great – but its unfortunate that the underage stuff, etc was in the mix in such a public atmosphere… They obviously probably should have known to behave a little better, at least while in the public eye….. Can’t blame them for wanting to celebrate, though….

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

It was a mistake to take the party out of the locker room where it belonged, esp in view of the press . Not a lot of forethought, but they did play a good game.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Seriously??? Who cares? They are hockey players, not nuns.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

Seriously??? Who cares? They are hockey players, not nuns.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Cold beer, zambonis, and women with no teeth that could beat the snot out of you….

Sounds like a party!

Celebration is great – but its unfortunate that the underage stuff, etc was in the mix in such a public atmosphere… They obviously probably should have known to behave a little better, at least while in the public eye….. Can’t blame them for wanting to celebrate, though….

If only they were vertically challenged with flat heads. Oh did I just say that

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Haven’t seen it yet, but they represent a country and should do it in a acceptable manner.

Al

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I remember a few years ago when our hockey team rearranged a hotel room. Pretty tame stuff I think. I’d be partying hard if I was them.

timmy

If that is the biggest mistake they make, I’d say they are doing pretty dang good. They won a gold!! I’d be partying too!

Good for them – I am happy for them.

Party on girls, you’ve earned it!

Tim

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I think it was acceptable except for the underage drinking. Congratulation Team Canada Womens Hockey. You are a great team and played excellent

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I thought in some providences in Canada the drinking age was 18??

bear
    Trempealeau

That is awesome! Now those are good girls!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I would like to know who they are apologizing to? Were the Americans complaining? It is unfortunate about the underage drinking, by one month, and only because they were in BC instead of Alberta were they normally train. It must be strange to be legal in one province and then cross into another and all of a sudden you are underage.

People need to relax and stop telling people how they think they should behave. Maybe they should just stop keeping score just so we are sure nobody’s feelings get hurt.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

In BC, the legal drinking age is 19. I read on ESPN’s webpage earlier there is only one girl who was not of age. And they couldn’t confirm if she was drinking. This may or may not of been factual of course.

In my opinion, if this is all the IOC has to do, they best get new lives. What do professional women’s hockey players have to look forward to? Can’t imagine there is any high paying leagues for them. They work hard for 4 years and accomplish a goal. Let them celebrate. Apparently this isn’t out of the norm for hockey celebrations in Canada.

Why is it we think it’s OK to tell others how to act???

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Is underage drinking a felony in Canada, same as DUI?

Too bad they didn’t include the losing team in the party…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

It must be strange to be legal in one province and then cross into another and all of a sudden you are underage.

Not that strange. When I graduated from H.S. the drinking age in WI was 18. Illinois and Michigan were 21. Can’t remember what Iowa and Minnesota were, but they were either 19 or 21. If you lived close to the state line in those other states, you came to WI to party. If you lived in that area in WI, you stayed off the roads after 10:00 p.m.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

It must be strange to be legal in one province and then cross into another and all of a sudden you are underage.

Not that strange. When I graduated from H.S. the drinking age in WI was 18. Illinois and Michigan were 21. Can’t remember what Iowa and Minnesota were, but they were either 19 or 21. If you lived close to the state line in those other states, you came to WI to party. If you lived in that area in WI, you stayed off the roads after 10:00 p.m.

I must be young because it has always been 21 for me.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I must be young because it has always been 21 for me.

I must be old because I hit the legal drinking age when I was still in high school.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It’s unfortunate that the news media thinks they even had to be there. Who cares is right Live it up Girls, great job on the ice

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Wow, from that reaction Id have thought they were drunk, got in a fight, lit the place on fire…etc. Every year the World Series champs celebrate with champagne too. I dont think thats a bad influence at all. They put in alot of work and deserve to blow steam, in front of the camera or not.

Sounds like sour grapes to me

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

And on top of everything else, they were acting like a bunch of teenaged girls!

Yep, Hudson WI saw a lot of my 18 year old MN butt a few years back, and Prescott WI still sees me on Sundays after church!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

And on top of everything else, they were acting like a bunch of teenaged girls!

Yep, Hudson WI saw a lot of my 18 year old MN butt a few years back, and Prescott WI still sees me on Sundays after church!

Dude, it’s way more than a few.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This talk brings back bad memories… I was 18 3/4, when they changed it from 19 to 21…. Talk about the end of the world…. Shamefully, it did little changing the law….

big G

thegun
    mn

I don’t think it was underage drinking! 18 is there legal age and if they have a parent supervision they can drink at 16

good win Canada!

Robin Holden
    Nestor Falls ON

This is funny cause it happened after the arena was emptied. It was over an hour after the ceremonies that they went out there and partied. The underage thing was dumb for sure tho. As for going for a post game skate and drink, doesn’t strike me as something that really needs to be investigated. As for the parental supervision law, I believe that only applies on Private property, not in a public arena.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

I disagree. These women worked hard to accomplish a goal. They did that and have every right to celebrate. If children come away from viewing that celebration as an excuse to drink beer, then there’s bigger problems.

couldn’t agree more. after all this time we are still thinking athlete’s are role models? Sorry folks they are just like us with bigger check books. (usually)

yeah I’m going to leave all my other comments right where they are.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Great Game congrats to Canada.

Pretty stupid idea to drink beer and smoke cigars on the Ice. Glad they are apologizing for there ignorance.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I’m with G when I was 17 they changed from 18 to 19 and when I turned 18 they changed it from 19 to 21. I was in the army when I turned 19 and It was also changed just before I got there to not be 19 on post to whatever the age was in the state and Virginia was 21. Bloody politicians. I endeavored to persevere.

a1a

Legally they could’ve all rolled a big fat one and smoked her up…legal in Vancouver…would you have preferred they participated in a legal act?!?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.