Ice Dam Removal

• douschmi
    Minneapolis, MN

I have an ice dam that needs to be removed, does anybody have a company that serves the west metro they would recommend?
    Thanks,
    Doug

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Call me I’ll come to your house with a pack of m-80’s and a 12er and blow that damn back to hell

Sorry I’m board at work.

earnit

Quote:

I have an ice dam that needs to be removed, does anybody have a company that serves the west metro they would recommend?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Good luck! Get it taken care of ASAP! 2 winters ago, I had a kitchen ceiling come in b/f I knew it. Over $13,000 in repairs….Thank God for insurance.

If anything, get up there w/ ice-cleats and start pounding on it to bust it up.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

I have a older house here and I go up and do it myself about 2 times a year–hook hose up inside and use hott water

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Does anyone in the metro not have ice dams right now? Cripes, never had one before, but this winter seems to have created them everywhere!!!

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I saw some dampness showing up on my ceiling a couple weeks ago. I used a couple nylon stockings filled with calcium chloride salt to melt channels into the ice dam, so that the water could run off. I also busted it up a bit with an ice pick, and tried not to punch holes directly into the roof. The leakage has stopped, near as I can tell. I’m a bit scared of what I’m going to find up there in the spring.

All of the houses on my block have dams. Same reason we have so many potholes now – constant thawing and refreezing. I’ll be happy when this winter’s over.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

sounds sad, but I just turn my Christmas lights on (yeah I know) and they keep the gutters pretty good from icing up still.

Broncs

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Put rock salt on the ice heavily then let it sit for a couple days, applying each day, then like said above use hot water. Don’t try to beak it up because that will break the shingles. Use the rock salt to soften the ice then use hot water from a hose. You can also use rock salt in the gutters to clean them too.

mnbassin
    Mpls, MN

Give Kris A Call Over @ Copper Valley Roofing. He’s been serving are customers needs with Ice Dams. Great guy and a heck of alot cheaper then some of those big name companies.
    Tell him Diamond Lake Hardware sent ya. Kris-(612)869-8616

Mike

phishirman
    Madison, WI

If you are going to apply salt to an ice dam, I’d recommend using potassium chloride since its less corrosive. Back when we were having a lot of problems with ice dams, I took the gutter heating wires and taped them into a tarp and placed it on the dam and plugged it in. It didn’t take long for the ice to melt that way. Once the ice was melted, I installed them correctly on my customer’s roofs and they haven’t had any problems since.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I have a older house here and I go up and do it myself about 2 times a year–hook hose up inside and use hott water

Ditto. You can throw a bag of salt up there a day before too. Water softner pellets work well.

-J.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Does anyone in the metro not have ice dams right now? Cripes, never had one before, but this winter seems to have created them everywhere!!!

No Ice Dams on my house!!!

One part is metal from 1920’s the other part I put metal on last fall!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had one about 4 inches thick…nasty so I went over to ACE HARDWARE and bought 2 buckets of ice dam pellets. They come about 50 to a pail, and are about the size of hockey pucks. The instructions said to lay them on top of the dam and let them eat down to the shingles…which they did overnight. The salty brine then got between the shingles and the rest of the ice and by the next day I was able to just pull the ice dam down with my hand. It was awesome, and cheap. A bucket of the pucks cost about $20 bucks. By the way, they claim it’s safe for shingle.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I’d contact a roofing company prior to putting any salt on the roof, they don’t recommend it.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

Let’s hear it for steel roofs. I never get ice dams because the snow slides right off. Cost more to start with, but at my age, I never wanted to go up on a roof again. It worked.

superiorfishing
    Hastings,MN

Id love to get steel roof–even part steel–on the 2 sides that dont seem to run off on—can they do only part of a roof with steel or does it all have to be?? anyone know–other than might look a lil funny

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Let’s hear it for steel roofs. I never get ice dams because the snow slides right off. Cost more to start with, but at my age, I never wanted to go up on a roof again. It worked.

We have removed more ice dams off steel roofs this year than we have on shingled roofs. They were also more severe causing much more interior damage. All roofs can get ice dams. It comes down to the layout of your roof and the amount of heat loss through roof.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.