Tax Assessment

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I just received a call from the tax assessor on a property I own in Lake City. The assessor says wants to go on the property and walk though to determine the tax value. I told her nicely that I will not do a walkthrough with her.

She told me she can send a refusal form that says I will not let her in, but she can then walk around the property, on posted property, look in all the windows, and in any unlocked doors and make a determination of the value.

Is this legal? Trespassing for the purpose of tax assessment? Unlawful search and seizure

I don’t even know where to start looking for information on this. Any help is appreciated before the black helicopters start circling

jhalfen

I have received two such requests, one for each of the two homes I have purchased. Both of the requests stated that if I refused to admit the assessor, they would perform the assessment from the exterior. Under those circumstances, their assessment would not be subject to appeal for a period of several years (I can’t remember the exact time).

I refused in both cases and was assessed from the outside. My assessments were completely in line with comparable homes in the area. Case closed.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I don’t know about the legalities of them trespassing but I am in Dakota County and got a letter from the tax assessor this past Summer.

It said I could let them in and if I refused they would “estimate” the value.

I decided I’d rather let them in.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You opened my eyes Jason. I would have caved to such a request but its refreshing to know I really do have a choice.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i never let an assessor in my house, all windows covered, all doors lock, good luck

P.S. beware of dog

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

We had our lake cabin reassessed last fall (Barron County, WI). Get ready to bend over. Our assessed value went up 58% over the previous assessment (done in 2003 I think). Our taxes went up over 800.00 per year (about a 20% increase over last years). You can spend alot of time and money appealing, but most likely it will fall upon deaf ears.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

All they can do is estimate the taxes. That said the estimate doesn’t have to be real accurate and then you will gladly let them in.

Unless you are growing dope or shooting adult movies it might be best to let them in.

They never would steer you towards a tax audit cause the government would never act like that.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Unless you are growing dope or shooting adult movies

So your saying it is best to keep them out

big_g
    Isle, MN

Totally legal for them to come on the property and even look inside, through windows. People who finish off basements, who don’t want to be accessed at the new value… get some good dark curtains… and keep em shut

big G

chomps
    Sioux City IA

happened to us up at the shack north of Mille Lacs, garage was built in the woods, 2 & 1/2 stalls, one for the boat, the other 1 & 1/2 for bunks and chairs around the stove. Aitken Co. Assessor came through while we were not there and we didn’t realize the sister-in-law had not put the curtains back up..well we get assessed as a house. We fought this for about a year, came to an agreement. Property taxes came back down, but we had to pay an additional amount on the building permit given to us two years prior, making it a garage with living quartes, not just a garage. We don’t have running water to the garage, and that was our wild card. I think all states are struggling, passing less to the counties and cities. Since the cash flow isn’t there the counties/cities have to look at what they have and try to squeeze every penny out of any land owner.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Great post! I’m going to be applying for a permit real soon. I’m wondering what I should ask for. Basically a garage kit without running water.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Our cabin in northern wisconsin has gone up 15 plus percent every year since we bought it. A joke the value uppon apraisel was much lower. we chose to fight it. they did jack. just drop the drapes.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Taxpayer dollars at work for you.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

It depends on your situation. I live on the other side of the river for starters. Our taxes tend to be higher. I have always thought ours to be a little out of line, but particularly in the last few years due to the market. Last fall we got a letter saying the Village had hired an assessor and asked us to call to make an appointment. Since I thought we were high already I thought it certainly go any higher. In the last year we have had atleast 6 homes sell in our little neighborhood, and none of them were even close to what we were getting taxed on. Come the end of December we ger our tax bill and it went down $300.00!

Now our friends across the street that didn’t let them in…..they went up $500.00. But they were getting away with highway robbery for a number of years.

So it all depends on what your situation is. BTW, the lady that walked through took less than 5 minutes.

FDR

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Quote:

Great post! I’m going to be applying for a permit real soon. I’m wondering what I should ask for. Basically a garage kit without running water.

I advise telling them exactly what you are doing. This goes for the people with tax assements due. Let them in. What is going to be happening is the people that are not pulling permits for remodels are going to get busted sooner or later. As far as penalties the fine is not much no more than double the permit fee but what they can do is make you go through your inspections like plumbing and electrical which means tearing stuff appart. Now they are disclosing on the purchase agreements if any work had been done and if a permit was pulled. They are backing us into a corner. Let them in, pull your proper permit.
    I am assuming if you dont want to let them in your hiding some thing, Finished basement, kitchen remodel??? other wise there is no reason not to let them in.
    My 2 cents

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

stick boy,

Not if they have never seen the inside of your house.

Last year my house value went down $30K and taxes went up $300. Houses in my neighborhood forclosed and resold in 09′ for $100K+ less than the apprasied value. i bet my taxes don’t go down in 2010. Great system.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Last year my house value went down $30K and taxes went up $300. Houses in my neighborhood forclosed and resold in 09′ for $100K+ less than the apprasied value. i bet my taxes don’t go down in 2010. Great system.

Ours went down $35K but our taxes did go down…weird.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Quote:

stick boy,

Not if they have never seen the inside of your house.

I gurantee they have seen the inside of your house. There was a permit pulled to build it. All permits are stored in your file for that address.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

So…………my neighbors let them in and I don’t. Their taxes go up more than mine. I have a name for died beats who don’t pull their own weight and screw the system over and in turn screws me over!!!!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Remember that just because the value of your home went down, it won’t mean that your taxes will go down. Let me try to explain this. For most home owners, our values have gone down the last few years. That means all of your neighbors as well. However, we must all still pay our appropriate portion to the city, village, town, and county we live in. If the city you live in needs $XXX.XX every year for their budget you will probably pay at least the same amount unless there is a significant amount of new homes being built in your community. Basically more homes to divide the amount needed by your local governments each year.

FDR

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

So…………my neighbors let them in and I don’t. Their taxes go up more than mine. I have a name for died beats who don’t pull their own weight and screw the system over and in turn screws me over!!!!

You didn’t let them in. You screwed yourself over. Your neighbors chose to do what they thought was right for them. You chose what was right for you.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I think he is saying the opposite Brian. People who hide improved value (which plays into your tax) he has a name for them…. If you own a $250K house, pay your share, don’t hide the fact and act like it is only $180K…. It is the game everybody plays…. I added a screen porch to my house, when I pulled permits, it was valued at that time. People who finish basements without permits (seen alot of this) are skating…. The “MAN” needs the tax….

big G

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

The people that hide improvements to keep their value down are the first ones to want top dollar when it comes time to sell. It is a double edged sword.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.