Looking to get side imaging

• jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

With my tax returns schedualed for some time next week I am thinking about taking the plunge and updating to a side imager. My only delima is should I get a 997 and sell my current Lcx 110 or should I keep the 110 and mount a 981 next to it(I think is the side imager without GPS). I like my lowrance’s because I am comfortable with them and have all my waypoints stored. Just wondering if the humminbird GPS system is easy to use and how it compares to lowrance. Any feedback would be great.

jhalfen

Jerry,

Get a 997 on clearance, or replace your current big screen with an 1197.

You’ll be more than satisfied with HB’s GPS and will find the new-for-2010 waypoint management tools convenient and easy to use. Waypoints are easy to transfer to the HB as well.

Come to one of my spring seminars and you’ll learn more about the Technological Edge from Humminbird.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The H’bird is very user friendly. I highly recommend the 997 over any of the Lowrance units.
    Hummingbird has a software package you download from their website when you register your unit called Hummingbird PC. There are a few very good secondary market software that will allow you to import and manipulate your GPS cords into Humbird software. I elected to do a manual entry of all my waypoints when I made the conversion from the LMS 350A to the H-bird 1197.

Upgrades are also very simple to download from H-Bird and install. And best of all – FREE. The only thing you really need to remember to do for and upgrade is in the menu and press “restore factory default settings”. In the new software level released 1-15-10, I was told this feature was added to do it for you automatically.

As with any locator, transducer installation and location is a key factor to maximize the full capacity of this unit. Don’t rush into getting it thrown onto your boat just to get out and use it. Take a little time to research the best location and installation practice for your rig. For me, it was best to install two transducers. I have the big surfboard out the back, and a puck glassed into the bottom. I keep a good signal and bottom readings at well over 50mph.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Just a few notes:

1) The 981 is not made anymore. There is an Si/GPS combo in the 900, 800 and 700 series but no strictly SI unit anymore.

2) I have a 981 and I really wish I had the 997/998 but I got an incredible deal on a new one so no big deal. Regardless, you would want GPS with your unit (the 981 accepts it but no cartography like Navionics).

3) Lowrace has free updates as well

4) Lowrance has a free waypoint management software system as well.

5) Lowrance has free Product Emulators and their own sonar log viewer, Humminbirds does not.

6) There is a third party sonar log viewer that will view Humminbird sonar recordings including side imaging, Lowrance does not. It’s called Humviewer.

7) I belive your Navionics chips for your Lowrance will work in a Humminbird but your Lakemaster chips will not. You need a Humminbird dedicated Lakemaster chip. These Lakemaster chips have greater capabilities than the lowrance compatable versions.

8) Lowrance units are modular, i.e. you don’t have to get the side imaging portion today.

9) Lowrance units are more expensive in general.

10) DrDepth can make Lakemaster like custom lake maps for Lowrance units but the Humminbird units can only display the contours as trails and the capability of displaying multiple trails is limited.

Now some of MY opinions:

1) I like both the HB and Lowrance units

2) I think the Lowrance sideimaging is superior to the Humminbird but not by much (not so much as to put you at an disadvantage) and I’m not 100% convinced of it yet.

3) It seems that Lowrance is having some customer service issues and some bugs with the newer units but the bug traffic seems to be calming down.

kris_brantner
    My river

they are terrible! do not get one!

jjonsgaard
    Winona, MN

Whatever Kris you just dont want me to figure out all those random rock piles in the middle of pepin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.