Cancun Fishing Report

• nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

The wife and I have been down in Riviera Maya since last week Saturday. The weather has been awesome except the wind has been blowing pretty stiff out of the North making it difficult for fishing. Most days water activities have been shut down along with the port in Cancun. Finally we were able to get a day to go out for a 6 hour trip.

We booked the trip through Chac-Chi Marina. The boat we took was very nice and the captain and deck hands were phenomenal. Wish I could find someone who works that hard for a fishing partner back in the states. We booked a group trip with 4 other people. We did not go out very far as the waves were 10ft+ and the port closes after 15ft seas.

Out of the 6 people, 1 never touched a pole big time sea sick from the moment we left the dock, 2 were sick the whole time and managed to catch 2 fish a piece, and my wife, one gentlemen from New Jersey and myself were fish catching machines.

Total of 19 fish boated. 18 Barracuda and 1 Red Snapper. 4 Large Fish Broke off that we never saw. One that took my rod after the hookset and bent it straight in half right to the rail with line screaming off the reel for what seemed to be a minute, then it was gone. More than likely a big grouper or Rockfish.

Most of the fish were caught in 40ft of water, about 30ft down with downriggers trolling fast (close to 5mph) with the dead bait. A few fish on the surface lines. Live caught bait was key to the big fish, blue fins and yellow fin snapper did the best for us trolled slow almost to a stop.

All in all a great trip and I would recommend to anyone traveling in Cancun. Trip was $250 for the both of us plus $40 for round trip transportation. We did tip the crew as they were an impressive team. Beer, Water and Soda provided if you can hold it down… I managed to down a 6 pack of Corona Extra and some chips. Felt bad for the people that couldn’t…

Hasta Luego Amigos!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

yur’ killin’ me! Thanks for making me forget about the cold for at least a minute…RR

big_g
    Isle, MN

19 boated…. that is a very good trip Most I have seen was 9 on a half day trip. Now I want to go

big G

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Rub it in! -4 in the morning!

Did you get dinner out of them?

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

I hope the fishing holds up I’ll be on the Riviera 4 weeks from today for 10 days.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Looks like it was a great trip.

What do you do with the fish?

Do you bring them home?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Nic, I am heading down in March! I may have to give that a try!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looks like a return trip is in order!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

glad you had good luck fishing down there,we went out on monday out of captain ricks and only caught 2 barracuda and not a very nice crew no english and the boat motor ran like crap and would not rev out and could not out run the incomin waves on the way into the marina,just about ready to bail out of the boat!!! that crazy you are at the riveria maya, we just got home now from the riu palace mexico, and we used your beach the whole time we we there,small world..

rljohnson020

The girlfriend and I went out last fall through cha chi in cancun, couldn’t have been happier!! They were awesome all the way through from start to finish. We booked a group trip for dirt cheap and ended up being the only two so we got everything to ourselves! We caught a bunch of fish over a reef a ways out and some top water too. Our mate fished a little with us and hooked up on something huge, he fought it for a long time and never put a dent in this things power. He would put both feet up on the rail of the boat and use all of his weight to lean into it and it was still taking line and running. He cut the line off when it got close to the prop and we were all a little pissed, noone more than him. Never saw what it was, but a great experience with cha chi. Would recomend to anyone. P.s. We stayed at the riu palace and took the bus to cha chi marina for less than 2 bucks a person

mjewellg

Sounds like you enjoyed Chac-Chi. Did you reserve before your trip, or during? Did other boats have good luck, too? My husband and I are headed to Cancun on 11/3, and I’m hoping for an amazing experience. Doing my research on Charters now, and appreciated your post.

mjewellg

Would appreciate any additional info you would like to share about Chac-Chi fishing. My husband and I are set to go to Cancun on 11/3. Really want to give him an awesome experience!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

glad you had good luck fishing down there,we went out on monday out of captain ricks…

We did Captain Rick’s on our honeymoon a few years back. I was not overly impressed, either. The wife landed a nice dorado and we lost a sail, but that was it. The seas were rough, but I didn’t feel that the crew did their best to put us on fish.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

curious as to how the fishing would be in Feb ? My wife and I will be in the Riviera Maya area for a week Feb 2011. Anyone have any personal experience for that time of year ?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Any other news on this outing ? Looking forward to getting out fishing while I’m down in Mexico

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

you can pretty much catch those ‘cuda all year around down there.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I don’t really want to go Deep Sea Fishing… I would like to go shallow water pitching, sight fishing !!

big_g
    Isle, MN

You can do that from the piers

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.