Question for reel repair gurus.

• wooly bugger
    SE Minnesota

As a hopeless ‘tinkerer’ I have always done the maintenance on my own reels. However, I have a nice Curado I want to rebuild, but am not finding a lot of information online.

Where do you reel repair ‘gurus’ get your information. Is there a couple of good books or videos that can walk you through reel repair, or is it a ‘learn as you go’ thing?

I only found one website selling a reel maintenance video. I was kind of looking for a rebuild type site or instruction. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

How about this… Links to the next page of the guide are on the bottom, this gentleman even included a schematics link.

Curado Maintenance

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

its not exactly brain surgury.. its a couple of nuts and screws.. its a matter of having the correct cleaning solvent and the correct grease.. and having a feel for “how the parts” are put back in.. in which order and why.. and why certain things are put in at a certain angle.. and THEN adjusted into place to be tightend down.

once you do a few then they all seem to be fairly alike.. its the knowledge of doing the few to get started.

plus parts aren’t as available like they used to be.. neither are reel repair shops.. and models change much faster now then in years gone by.
    for almost 30 plus years the gears were the same on a “Mitchell 300”.. the bail changed over the years but handles and other parts remained the same for over 3 decades.. the same with the old Zebco’s.. until the industry decided change made “more money”..

I am not saying that improvements didn’t need to be made..

But I find very few reels that are a smooth and dependable as my old Cardinal fours.. or the black C4..

good luck in your quest.. oh and this is coming from a guy who’s first job in the world was Easterling’s Rod and Reel Repair at the age of 16 in 1972 and I remain friends with Louis to this day..

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Dan,

That is a sweet link. Thanks for sharing!

FDR

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Dan,

That is a sweet link. Thanks for sharing!

FDR

Yep, I book marked it. Thanks Dan

wooly bugger
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

How about this… Links to the next page of the guide are on the bottom, this gentleman even included a schematics link.

Curado Maintenance

Thanks for the link. That is helpful.

Some further internet searching found me Reel Repair Tips this site as well. I think between the two links I’ll be able to get started.

Edit: found a bunch of schematics online for free as well. Schematics site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.