IDO to the rescue again? Need advice!

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

OK, So I have seen cars get fixed, washing machines get diagnosed, houses get remodeled…. anything you can think of, IDO seems to have an “in house expert (or at the very least some very knowledgeable folks willing to give their opinions!)
    Well, I have a “good problem”.
    The FW gave me a “preapproved loan” for up to $10,000 toward a motorcycle! (one of my best CHristmas gifts ever!)
    I know the style I want “classic”/or “classic touring”, and I know the size of engine I want (minimum of 1100cc and up), the manufacture isn’t real important but I know I don’t want a Harley (I would just as soon save my hearing and teeth from vibrating loose at stop lights . I have a few questions for the “experts” in the house:
    1. Shaft, belt or chain drive, pluses and minuses of each?
    2. Liquid or air/oil cooled? why?
    3. What is considered “average” mile per year on a bike (low miles VS high miles
    4 Are dealer prices (on used bikes) generally negotiable? By how much? (say on a $9000 asking price bike)

Like I said… GOOD PROBLEM TO HAVE!

This is a photo of just one I am looking at!

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I am so sorry to hear you “dont want a Harley” ,Not all harleys are loud and vibrate. I have owned 2 of them and never had much of a issue with either.

They are also the only bike that holds thier value.I had sold both mine for more than I had in them ,but both were custom bikes with Harley motors. JMHO

But you are you buying the bike and not me ,I hope you find one that makes you happy and gives you plenty of enjoyment.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Shaft or belt are best,chains are noisy and throw grease everywhere
    Liquid or air are both fine
    Miles very by rider,Harleys with the evolution motors and Honda gold wings will go a lot of miles with little maintainence
    Yes they are negotable esspecially when there is snow on the ground and the economy sucks.Now is the time to buy.

So if you dont want a mans bike and want a rice burner look for a used gold wing.Polaris Victorys are junk.Fat chicks need a ride too

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

I thought I might get a rise out of a Harley guy with that comment! I really have no basis for not wanting a Harley other than living on a busy street for years and listening to them “roar” down the street all day/night (some people like that sound… just not me!) and then riders at the stop light shake like they just fed the vibrating bed a pocket full of quarters! I have nothing against those who choose to ride them… they just aren’t for me

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

they just aren’t for me

And they arent for everyone

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Actually a new stock Harley is pretty quiet but a lot of guys want the rumble and put different pipes on them.They look like they vibrate a lot but most of that is the engine moving as they are rubber mounted.You actually dont feel a lot of vibration while riding the bike.There is no doubt Harleys hold there value better than most but you wont loose a lot on a used gold wing if you buy it at the right price.Also you wont get much of a hog for 10K but you can probably find a good wing for that.Like I said the wings will go LOTS of miles with little maintainence.

northstar42
    west central Minnesotsa

You don’t want a massage???? They come free with the bike for crying out loud!

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

Nothing against Harley…but look into finding a Goldwing that fits your fancy, you won’t be disappointed

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well I owned a Honda Shadow 1100cc some time ago, honestly apple to apples Harley makes a better looking bike, that gets some respect. I’d get a kick out of people telling me someday I could move up to a Harley, I’d usually laugh at them as ask them if they didn’t think I could’ve afforded one at the time (which I easily could’ve)

Power wise they are real similar, sound wise stock versus stock, they were real similar, and as far as shake and rattling, they really are the same but it depends a lot on your motor mounts. Some Harley’s came with solid motor mounts, and you can really feel the motor that way, some come with rubber mounts and basically you can feel it pretty good a idel, but as soon as you spin the motor it smooths right out (My Shadow had rubber engine mounts)

I still think a Harley will always hold it’s value better in the long run than any of the others.

Market wise I’ve know of a couple Harley that their owners in this economy sold their bikes for significant losses, and so I know there are some good deals out there to be had…

I guess all I’m saying is I’ve owned and riding a fair amount of jap bikes, and Harley, and today if I were to go out and look at buying one, I wouldn’t rule out any brand, they are all very similar, to me back in the day one big thing a Harley had on my bike was a lack of plastic, My honda had lots of plastic, plastic everywhere, and a Harley didn’t, everything was solid mounted on some nice chrome or metal piece, and to me that fit and finish issue gives a strong nod to Harley.

I guess all I’m saying is don’t rule anything out until you’ve done a lot of research and ridden as many as possible, bike to bike you’re going to pay more for a Harley, the difference is wither the looks or resale make a difference to you, IMHO both bikes are well worth the money they cost (providing you buy right).

I’m well out of the motorcycle loop right now so I can’t offer any specific advice on brand and models, I’d suggest picking up a bunch of cycle world’s (magazine) at the Library and doing some reading, you get better more specific answers to how similar bikes are and what makes one better/worse than the others.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Gold Wing

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Polaris Victorys are junk.

I have owned 2 Victory’s and I actually think they are a very nice bike. I have not had any issues, they ride very nice and have plenty of power. Not sure why the poster thinks they are “junk” but none-the-less don’t take our opinions, try them out for yourselves. Enjoy !

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

“Also you wont get much of a hog for 10K”. This is another reason I really am not considering Harley. If I can make a comparison.. an alumacraft may not hold it’s value as well as a Lund, but if maintained it will get me where I want to go when I want to get there for a very long time. And, I can afford to get “more boat” for the same investment. (I really don’t know those statements to be accurate, but use them as an example).
    As for the Goldwing, I am not looking to do long road trips and don’t care for the “full dress” look that the Wings have in my mind. Ironically, I like, and am looking for the classic “American” styling…kind of like an old school Harley, with the wider gas tank, wide tires with full wide fenders. Another example of the style I am looking at is below

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Plenty of bikes our there in range, http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=harley&catAbbreviation=mcy&minAsk=7000&maxAsk=12000

Of course that’s Minneapolis area, a quick look at the first page shows some options… Market assure you is bad, I bet if you found one you liked that was in that ball park, 10K cash and a buyer speaks a lot. And you got plenty of time on your side, I’m sure there are people holding off until spring so they can ask more money, but when the realize the it’s a buyers market, they may come to their senses. Plenty of time to find the right deal.

I’m just saying buy what you really like and enjoy whatever model it may be.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Polaris Victorys are junk.

I have owned 2 Victory’s and I actually think they are a very nice bike. I have not had any issues, they ride very nice and have plenty of power. Not sure why the poster thinks they are “junk” but none-the-less don’t take our opinions, try them out for yourselves. Enjoy !

Come on Bob, thats not very nice. I know my brother has almost 100K on his victory and he’s buying another one, and keeping his numbered bike. A tuned Harley can’t catch them, unless they are running a vrod, but those aren’t Harleys anyway….

Jami

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

The last bike I had was a Victory. Loved the bike and the only problem I had was it ran right into a deer one night It is made in America as well, and I liked that.

Don’t rule out any bike. There are some Harley riders who seem to think they are better then you because they ride a Harley. Blow it off.

Go to as many dealerships as you can for all brands of bikes. It gives you a great way to see the bikes in person, pick out things you like and don’t like, and start to get an idea of prices. Most of the time you are better off from a private party with price, but it is nice to know some good comparisons for reference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.