Wild Mountain Lion shot in Iowa.

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Killing it just because you can…nice

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Kind of what I thought. Must have been about to do some serious pillaging after resting up for those 50 minutes.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Sounds like our local metro one is still on the move today heading toward Stillwater? Wonder how long this guy will last?

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

It’s the same as a trophy whitetail hunt I would have it made into a coat with it’s head as the hat.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I would have shot that SOB also they can really tear a person apart. Good thing he saw it while hunting. About the last thing I want to see while mushroom hunting is a damn Big Cat looking down at me.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

my guess is that you are not talking about killing that can of beer! I wish the story talked about how far from a residential area they were hunting. Then the justification would/could have been easier.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If it is legal, I would have done the same thing. What a unique trophy!!

However, I would have celebrated with a bit higher class beer.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I would have shot that SOB also they can really tear a person apart.

So can just about any dog, yet we don’t shoot them on site.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Only if they are chasing cattle or deer.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

or if not on a leash and running really fast towards my family.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Where is the sport in that? I once knew someone who would produce a pistol and shoot any snake on sight. Targeting a species and hunting it for food is one thing that I also like to do but this was just a killing for no reason. I guess they’ll never spread to Iowa kind of like pro football.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Doah, That was below the belt. Actually there are more than people think, We have seen the on occasion while snowmobiling and pheasant hunting. Now is someone would just shot and take a couple pictures of bitgfoot we will be in business. Looks like there are no fines from the DNR… Sweet!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I once knew someone who would produce a pistol and shoot any snake on sight.

You still do.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I agree Kooty. What is the difference between legally shooting a mountain lion and shooting any other trophy in season. Bear hunters bait and stick them when coming for their daily buffet. Deer hunters are not really after the meat when they target trophy whitetails. Heck…half the guys that shoot wild game end up throwing away some the next year as a result of not eating it. jmo.

Ted

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Not to worry about the Stillwater kitty.
    We tried that KILLER NORTHERN CAKES recipe and
    wound up throwing them in the back yard during the night.
    Probably find the cat’s carcas when snow melts next spring.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

It’s the same as a trophy whitetail hunt I would have it made into a coat with it’s head as the hat.

Or a man purse

Note- the sweet facial hair

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

I once knew someone who would produce a pistol and shoot any snake on sight.

You still do.

fishbizbob

That’s about 30 miles west of me!!! That’s a big kitty!!!

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Hee Haw. If you go to the local bar and throw the cat you just shot on the floor, you must be a redneck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bob, I asked you years ago if you would start working on a cat bait.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

HI Chris…Please don’t shoot. I knew I’d get someone. FYI I hunt deer for the meat. I’d hunt a lion if it was actually the quary we planned on. We popped at a few coyotes this year. Those critters are hard to hit.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or a man purse

Note- the sweet facial hair

Poor Timmy

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

About the last thing I want to see while mushroom hunting is a damn Big Cat looking down at me.

Don’t worry. I have never read about a mountain lion attack where the victim actually saw it coming.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

About the last thing I want to see while mushroom hunting is a damn Big Cat looking down at me.

Don’t worry. I have never read about a mountain lion attack where the victim actually saw it coming.

Kinda like a farm dog.. the ones that bark don’t bother me. It’s the quiet sneeky ones that will likely get their chops on the back of your leg. Same with a cougar, they attack by ambush or from behind. You’ll never see it coming if wants a hunk of you.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I did a little research, and found that a cougar will kill one large ungulate (deer) every two weeks, returning to feed until consumed. That is some serious competition for the deer hunters in a given area.

I don’t know if I’d shoot one while deer hunting or not, but it would sure be an amazing sight to see. We have had reports for several years in the Clinton Iowa/ Quad Cities area, but no comfirmation. I tend to believe it they where living in my area we would know. Coyote hunting in the winter would surely lead to finding some tracks/ sign at some point, although we rarely spend a lot of time in the dense cover hunting coyotes, we do from time to time crash trough to drive yotes out into the open.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Did it say they feed exclusively on deer?

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

It said they are opportunistic feeders when need be, anything from insects to Moose, but elk and deer where the meal of choice when available.
    In warmer climates, and where they are not the top predator in the area, they are more likely to eat smaller game.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.