Lazyboy DWI

• buck-slayer

A guy from MN put a lawn mower engine in a lazyboy recliner got snapped up and hit a parked car. Was .29 at the time but was not seriously injured. I bet the parked car wasn’t either. He must have been layed off longer than 6 weeks cause I haven’t thought of anything to make like that yet.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

more than one guy thought of it.

web page

there is a website.

web page

looks like BrianK could have a new hobby. Dean…..watch your stuff.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

What a bunch of crap. Why don’t these cops go after child molesters or some other real offender. But I guess those people do not pay their saleries.

deertracker

I didn’t read the story but feel your reply has a lack of common sense and thought. You may not feel drunk driving is wrong but your also not the one responding to their accidents and pulling their or an innocent persons dead body out of the car or ditch. Way to throw in the salary comment. That really shows how smart you are.
    DT

complex12
    Madison Wi

Quote:

I didn’t read the story but feel your reply has a lack of common sense and thought. You may not feel drunk driving is wrong but your also not the one responding to their accidents and pulling their or an innocent persons dead body out of the car or ditch. Way to throw in the salary comment. That really shows how smart you are.
    DT

Dead Bodies?

Cars in Ditches?

This is about a guy operating… LITERALLY… a Lazyboy recliner with a lawnmower engine on it.

Yes, he was intoxicated.

That doesn’t change the fact that we’re talking about a piece of furniture with a Tecumseh bolted to it.

Somehow, I don’t think Stealthy is suggesting… not even a little… that an OWI is okay.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

These things are heavy and go 20 mph, fast enough to kill a kid. Yeah, dont stalk him to bust him, but .29 and running into a car, that is a DWI 100% of the time IMO.

No room for a slap on the wrist here.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

These things are heavy and go 20 mph, fast enough to kill a kid.

Really…There are millions of things that could kill a kid. I think this is down right funny. What time of day was it? Was the guy mouthy and agressive? All factors that should be considered. Maybe he is the town drunk?

At any rate, I would expect this from some family members of mine. Good stuff.

Steelers

Here is the link to the article in my local paper.

LINK

complex12
    Madison Wi

Quote:

These things are heavy and go 20 mph, fast enough to kill a kid. Yeah, dont stalk him to bust him, but .29 and running into a car, that is a DWI 100% of the time IMO.

No room for a slap on the wrist here.

Hmm, I admit that I had a little misconception based on the original post. The guy didn’t “put a lawn mower engine in a lazyboy recliner”.

Rather, he built (or purchased???) a pretty bada** looking machine.

As I understand, it’s going up for auction in Proctor(?) soon.

[anyway, the STORY is still kinda funny]

deertracker

He and you are minimizing it just because it happened to be a piece of furniture. He crashed into a parked car. That right there should tell you something more worse could of happened. Yes it was a cool idea and I’m impressed that people have the know hot to build something like that. But driving it drunk and crashing brings it to a whole new level.
    DT

bailey99

Drunk driving a VEHCILE is not a joke.
    This is a joke.
    This is a crime that this guy is getting a DWI for this.
    In the meantime, while the revenue generation is still in play for the city/county of focusing on DWI monies, there are still a TON of meth labs that the cops are afraid to address.

It has become so bad, that the common citizen knows where the meth labs are, but for some reason, the local deputies are too tied up in mass quantities, rallying at the local cafe, watching the bar across the street, to nab anyone that walks out because they might be drunk.
    In the meantime, meth dealings are happening right under their Barney Fife nose.

It has become so bad, that a local deputy told me he would rather work in north Minneapolis instead of going to a domestic call in a small town where the meth is known to be manufactured. So, instead, what do they do? They look for DWI money.

deertracker

It is a fact that meth labs are way down. It can be made in Mexico for a lot cheaper. And it is not that cops aren’t trying to stop the meth and general drug issue. We are bound by the laws and people’s “rights” that prevent us from doing our jobs effectively.
    DT

complex12
    Madison Wi

Quote:

He and you are minimizing it

No, I am not.

Please see my last post.

“The guy didn’t ‘put a lawn mower engine in a lazyboy recliner’.”

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

How is a chair that can go 20mph and dent a car in a parking lot not a vehicle? Is a lawn mower? Go cart? 4 runner? Snowmobile? Boat?

Maybe you dont bust the guy at .09, but at .29 in that thing he is a severe danger to others.

complex12
    Madison Wi

Quote:

How is a chair that can go 20mph and dent a car in a parking lot not a vehicle? Is a lawn mower? Go cart? 4 runner? Snowmobile? Boat?

Maybe you dont bust the guy at .09, but at .29 in that thing he is a severe danger to others.

That’s the point that changed my opinion, exactly.

Again, it’s not like the guy was on a home-made mobility scooter capable of going all of 5mph (a brisk walking pace) as I assumed after reading the first post.

I do still think it’s funny though. Not because of the potential dangers, or the DWI, etc… More like, “How dumb does a guy have to be?”

pockets
    Golden Valley, MN

So for those that think it’s not a crime, it must be ok for me to shoplift a .95 candy bar, but not a pair of $200 sunglasses, right? The guy’s an idiot, and the cops were obviously protecting him more than the general public.

kooty
    Keymaster

Seriously, can’t you guys see the humor in this?? As much as I’d love to say I live my life to the letter of the law, I don’t. Guess what, I did 76 in a 70 this morning on my way to work.

A guy, got a DUI on a recliner!! How is that not funny? Dumb, yes. Funny as hell though. I guess I don’t take stuff as serious as some.

How about the two idiots trying to get drugs up in the Mille Lacs area. The plan was hatched to jump out of a moving vehicle. Pretend it was a hit and run…but get drugs from the hospital. Dude died due to head injuries from his jump. Darwin???

fishinfool
    mn

Before you post anything else on this subject, please keep in mind there are law enforcement people who are members of this site. Please show them the courtesy that you would expect to recieve from them..

Bashing someones career is sometimes taken the wrong way.

FISHINFOOL
    and yes I am.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

Just because it is “known” where these meth labs are, even they have rights like it or not. Law Enforcement can’t just go kick down someones door because it is well known they need credible information to get a warrant. I know many of the dealers and users in my community, but I have rules I have to play by. I can only speak for where I live, but if current reliable information comes forward it will definately be used and acted upon. The majority of cops live in the community they police as well as you, and don’t want this garbage around. If this is not the case then there needs to be a new sheriff elected who will clean house. As far as OWI monies in the State of Wisconsin, the majority of the fine amount does not go back to the community where the offense took place.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You guys are all missing the obvious question that needs to be answered here.

Does he lose his rights to sit in said recliner for 90 days?

Will he be banished to the couch or love seat during that time?

If he get’s “House Arrest” does he have to serve it in the kitchen?

All kidding aside, rules are rules. It is a “Motorized Vehicle” and you have to apply the law accordingly. How many times have you heard/seen guys on garden tractors getting busted driving back from the bar lit to the hilt?

Funny? Heck yeah! But imagine how many more would be on the street if bar flies found out is was “legal” (Or that the law wouldn’t be enforced)) to drive your motorized Lazyboy home from the bar drunk as a monkey??

I would go into business tomorrow building them in the garage!

(Talk about a Bat Cave project. )

kooty
    Keymaster

This is what I had envisioned when I read the title of this post.

Lazyboy

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That’s the one I thought of too!!!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

how great would one of those be for ice fishing when there isn’t much snow? Pull a sled with an auger and one of those bigger hub style houses, best seat in the house! Wasn’t there something really suped up on Lettermen a couple years back, boy I bet he wishes he had a motorized couch for the interns

kooty
    Keymaster

buck-slayer

Maybe if they shouldn’t enforce it. I’d rather have them drive home drunk on their recliner than their car. At least they could’t kill anyone that way.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Maybe if they shouldn’t enforce it. I’d rather have them drive home drunk on their recliner than their car. At least they could’t kill anyone that way.

anyone but themselves, but if that doesn’t matter to you?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Really? What if he is in the street and someone swerves to miss him and strikes a pedestrian or hits a tree and injures themselves? The story doesn’t say he was on the street, but that doesn’t matter. You’d have to assume he had the good judgment to not drive it onto the street at .24 or whatever he was at.

But besides all that, it is funny as heck. I wish it was on YouTube.

I used to be in the camp where is you are on your own property on a riding lawnmower and they give you a DWI it was absurd, but again, how can you trust the judgment of a person in that condition?

bailey99

Ok, I guess I’m the one that is wrong.
    It is good that they pulled this drunk off the street so he didn’t hurt himself, or any other.

I wonder if you can get a DWI if he would have rode a horse to town?
    Makes sense right? He should.
    Maybe we should have WWI (walking while intoxicated). I know there is PI (public intoxications), but you are right. People who have any type of alcohol in their system should be charged with a $10,000 total cost offense. They should be stripped of their license, thrown in jail for 90 days, take classes, be at high risk insurance for 10 years, forbidden to go into Canada, and have to pay the courts about $5,000 in fines/fees.

Ride a car
    Ride a lawnmower
    Ride a chair with a motor.
    Ride a horse
    All should get DWIs!

Heck, my wife rides my azz both drunk and sober……We should give her a DWI too!

In the meantime, the law enforcement/judicial system let’s the meth-heads run wild.

bailey99

PS:
    Before ya all ride my arse, I have two very close friends who are deputies, a high school friend who is a cop, and a cousin who is a state trooper. I have nothing against the those who wear the shield to protect and serve.

As long as they protect and serve.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.