Mercury Verado 150 hp Outboard Motor

• igotone

Hi there to the IDO members

I am looking for any input on this motor.

Am thinking about recharging my boat with a new motor.

My choice would be this one or a Yamaha 150 four stroke.

Any info would be Appreciated. Cost, Performance, any issues!

Thanks in advance

matt_schultz
    Mississippi River Pool 4

I just sold a 150 Verado after owning for 3 years. The motor is fun to drive as the supercharger really makes it responsive and the fly by wire system makes for smooth shifting and accelerating. It is fairly fuel efficient when run at cruising speeds, but you’ll watch the guage drop quickly when wide open. The downside is that the motor is heavy which can make the back of the boat sit low in the water and I added splashguards to my last boat because of the motor weight. There are more parts to fail on the Verado and mine was in the shop twice in 2.5 years, but they were both electrical issues and took some time to diagnose.

As far as the Yamahas, I am really impressed with the reliability. They just seem to be bullet proof. I ran my 150 Verado against a regular fishing partners 150 Yammy on comparable 18 ft boats loaded similarly and the 150 Yamaha would run right with my 150 Verado. It’s just my opinion, but for simplicity and solid performance in the 150 class I’d be looking at the Yammy if I were in the market.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Why wouldnt you consider a 150hp. E-tec. Its 150-200 pounds lighter than the Yammy or Merc, and just as or more fuel efficent. Im on my second one on my 620T, and couldnt be happier. It trolls down great and still does 50mph. Believe me 50mph. feels alot faster in a tiller. Look at all your options before making a decision. Good Luck.

Walleyebry #993

jonT
    minnesota

I wanted to chime in here. I run a 175 Verado Big Tiller on 2010 Pro Guide. I will tell you that this motor is a top shelf choice. I love Yamaha also and have owned them in the past. So i do have experience with both brands but not a 150 Yammie 4 stroke in particular.

I want to start with fuel efficiency. I have Merc Smartcraft guages and as far I can see from fuel burn #s and refilling at the pump they are pretty close.

Backtrolling dialed down 550 rpm .3 gal per hour
    40 mph full tournament load 10-10.5 gal per hour
    WOT 48-49 mph 6400 rpm tourney load 17-17.5 gal per hour

In my personal opinion I’d have to say those are good fuel burn #’s for the hull it’s pushing. Back off the throttle 400-500 rpm’s and you’re down to 13-14 gal per hour.

Reliability is real good too. I have had one problem with the harness but we pretty much determined it was a rigging issue and was zip tied too tight to the hydraulic steering mech and that part of the harness acted as a hinge.After 370 hrs a wire broke.

Power and speed- I’d put it up against any other 175 4-stroke. I’d have too say it will most likely rival most 2-strokes also. The best part is no smoke and alot less noise.

Gearcase and Prop selection – Merc is #1 As a matter of fact I always ran Merc props on my Yammies.

I know it sounds like I get my Equipment for Free. I don’t. But when I believe in a product I’m going to tell you about it. Just like my Marcum Flashers

Jon Tennessen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.