Pick up question

• KirtH
    Lakeville

Still pondering on getting a new truck, I have an extended cab with 6 1/2′ box, I am looking at getting a Super Crew 4 door, but most have 5 1/2′ bed, I do use my truck as a truck and do haul stuff.

Who out there in IDO land switched to a shorter bed truck, and find they can live with it?

A 3/4t is just overkill for what I need.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I couldn’t deal with a 5.5′ box. So when I bought my new Ford from Corey Waller and Hastings Ford in 2008. I got one with a 6.5 foot box and thank god I did every time I use it! Why get a 5.5′ when you can get a 6.5?

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i had the same question, and every answer i found was get a truck bed extender. something like this would do the trick for my needs…

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I made the change once and went back to the full size box after cussing under my breath for getting a short box. I also love having a topper for keeping my gear dry and out of the weather and out of site.
    Most of my hauling is ice equipment and the short box had me stacking stuff. I have even built a shelf in the full size box just so I can get stuff of the bed floor that I don’t want my auger or shack bouncing on or around.

With that said, the super crew and full box is one long wheel base and can be tough to get around if you are in tight spots.

It’s all personal preference……..good luck with your decision

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I had a 5 1/2 foot box and it served me well. I hauled everything I needed and more in the back of that. To me, with kids, it is far more valuable to have 4 doors than the extra foot of space in my box. Basically, a foot lost on the box is added to the cab!! Could I have used the extra foot once in a while…yes…but not nearly as much as I use the extra space in the cab.

It was also a little easier for my wife to drive…I know it is only a foot…but a foot is a foot…

I would buy another one again without a thought. All depends how much stuff you need to haul on a “regular” basis.

Ted

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I couldn’t deal with a 5.5′ box. So when I bought my new Ford from Corey Waller and Hastings Ford in 2008. I got one with a 6.5 foot box and thank god I did every time I use it! Why get a 5.5′ when you can get a 6.5?

Corey sells the wrong brand.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I chose to get the 6.5 so I could get my wheeler in the bed with the tailgate shut. Sure, it doesn’t have quite as sporty of a look, but it’s much more practical. My mother’s 04 with a 5.5′ box was horrible for hauling stuff.

You know what you haul, so think about it for a while the next time you load up the backend.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My opinion… 5 1/2 or 6 1/2, doesn’t matter. Unless its an 8′ box, you have a short box.

big G

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

My opinion… 5 1/2 or 6 1/2, doesn’t matter. Unless its an 8′ box, you have a short box.

big G

Yep

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I went from an 8′ box, to a 6′ box, and now with my super crew I have the 5 1/2′ box, and have never had a regret yet. I also have a topper, an when it comes time to haul something tall, I easily lift it off and hang it in the garage. Love the 4 door, and so will your family and fishing and hunting buddies.

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

Quote:

big G

………I gotta go with what he said !!!

Todd_NE

I’ve got a 5.5′ on a Supercrew. I’m a city guy but it’s like this. 99% of the time it’s fine but that other 1% may be why you own the truck?

I’d agree the 8′ is the way to go. Personally, I got a 12′ trailer and call it good. But if parking isn’t an issue, the 8′ pickup is better for ATV’s, ice fishing, trips, everything.

birddog
    Mn.

I miss the longer box once in a while. That said, I appreciate the full back seat more often. 4-5 guys on a trip, comfortable.

I have a 6×12 trailer for the wheeler/voyager/ice fishing gear. I use the same trailer for all my hunting needs as well as hauling const. equipment/materials.

This is our second “crew” short box, the next one will also be a crew, probably. In the end for us, the extra space in the cab out weighs box space. We use the back seat most often for our bags, rain gear, boots, etc…it’s nice to have all the dry gear right there behind a full door, easily accessable.

I couldn’t get by with the short box without the trailer though. But, I’d rather throw my atv/ice house in a trailer than in the box. Even if I had the long box, I’d still use the trailer just as often as I do now.

BIRDDOG

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.