Tournament boat number by entry Recieved

• fireflick
    Alma WI

IT was brought up to our attention and one of the local tournaments lately about how they could get more people involved. One of the suggestions would be to elimanate how people send their money in early to get an early boat number. It seems that lot of these tournaments, especially local, the same people get boat numbers 1-5 or very close to it. Some people actually pay a year in advance to get these numbers. I am guilty as the rest I have sent in early just to get a good number but is it fair? But wouldn’t it be better and more exciting to do every tournament on a draw? How many times have one said that there is already 20 boats in guess the top 5 spots will be gone why should I even fish. So if local tournaments were a draw you fish more of them…

I think it would be difficult to find a foolproof method that all anglers could agree on, but I am a fan of the draw method.

In terms of increasing entries, I think anglers would be more likely to sign up at the end of a registration period if they knew they had a chance to get drawn early and have an equal chance at their choice of spots to fish.

Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I know our local tournament that will be help on august 8th is a draw system but only if your entry is recieved by the august 3rd and after that your put in order as recieved. Also if your in by august 3rd they use to give an early bird prize which is your entry fee back which is nice was able to get that a few years back so its always nice to fish a tournament with no entry fee

jak

Boat position by entry receipt is a tool to get people to commit.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Boat position by entry receipt is a tool to get people to commit.

..and eliminate jack potting which goes on a lot in local tourneys. However, I’m a fan of the draw tournament.

cj_2
    Wisconsin

I am a fan of the draw system.

If you truely want more participation, there are a couple ways to achieve this. Pay down more places…or have some give aways like hats or lures.

The truth is that the check cashers are most likely the same year in and year out. You need to keep the other guys happy by either paying down further or giving them somthing for free. Without the “donaters”, you don’t have much.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I’m a big fan of the draw too! I like to be in the last flight especially when ya get up to a hour of extra fishing time. Usually ya only loose less than 15 minutes of fishing time behind 1st flight. I send my entry late. Ever notice how many how many from 3rd flight get checks?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I am a fan of the draw system.

If you truely want more participation, there are a couple ways to achieve this. Pay down more places…or have some give aways like hats or lures.

To pay out more places you need more people to fish the tourney or you need a higher entry fee which is already a problem for most. I dont like fishing tourney’s with an entry fee of more than $100 but if you want to win big $$$$ you have to pay $$$. Also if you give out hats and freebies that stuff to costs money unless you can get sponsors for your tournament. Draw spots would make a difference if everyone is equally powered. Good tournament would be the lower HP your motor is the closer to the front you leave giving the underpowered boats a half of a chance to get to a good spot as not everyone can afford a boat with a 225-250 HP motor. I’m sure the further the run the bigger HP boat will still get to the spot first but the little boat will have a small chance. Even though this wouldnt make much of a difference it would be a step towards “fairness”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.