’96 Chevy Tahoe won’t start

• loobykc

My ’96 Tahoe will not start when it is cold. It will crank, but not start. Some times if I return the key to the off position, then try starting, it will start. In any event, if I give it a shot of starter fluid, it will then fire, even in the coldest weather. It is like the engine is not getting the right combustion signals for a cold start. Any thoughts? Took it to Chevy dealer, who found nothing and told me I must have a bad tank of gas. I also took it to an independent shop that could not find anything wrong, either. Of course, this is maddening. p.s. This vehicle has had a history of electrical problems, including the daytime running lights and the rear brake lights shorting out on different occasions.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

M.A.F. Mass Air Flow sensor maybe bad (I’m no mechanic but had a similar problem)

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Ihad a 97 suburban and it would start one time and not the next time . Found out the electric fuel pump was going bad and was working some times ans some times not . The garage that worked on it called up and said it starts all the time but when I went to pick itup the next day and it would not start. With the key on you could not hear the fuel pump turn on and thats how we found out why it would not start again.

bryon583
    lonsdale mn

I have a 96 tahoe and my mass air flow sensor was DIRTY,I cleaned that and it was all good! Be very careful when cleaning it,very expesive part!!!!!!!Buy some mass air flow cleaner and take a Q tip and clean it let it dry and put her back in!When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?You could try that also.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

If it is a MAF, you should be getting a service engine code. Maybe go to the local parts store and use there scanner. You may be able to check the memory for code history.
    Also, when you turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of second. It has to pressurize the system for it to start.
    I always turn my radio off before turning off my truck so I can listen for the fuel pump.

jonathandeblieck
    quad cities, il

they are also notorious for cap and rotor problems. i have to take mine off and clean the terminals about every oil change.

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

….Also notorious for fuel pumps. Have your pressure checked (prime and running). There us a schrader valve on your fuel rail.
    Make sure you replace with OEM pump versus aftermarket if you find this to be the problem. Also recommend replacing the sender unit that also has known wiring issues.
    I made the mistake and had to drop the tank twice because I put in a cheaper aftermarket pump.

loobykc

Thanks for the suggestions – what a great site! The dealer had it for 4 days. During that time they replaced the fuel filter and tested for fuel pressure, which was normal. I can hear the pump pressurizing the system when I put the key into the on position. I tried cleaning the MAF sensor this morning, and while it was a little dirty, cleaning it made no difference. The part that is the oddest to me is the fact that with a single shot of starting fluid, it starts on the next crank (had to do that this morning after another no start). Any thoughts why that is making all the difference? The onboard computer was “updated” after some transmission work last fall. Is it possible that the “update” goofed up the cold weather starting settings?

sst169
    Lake City, MN.

Sounds like my 03 Tahoe last year. My problem was the fuel pressure regulator. It keeps the fuel from runnig back to your tank. Maybe yours too.

Terry Filkins
    NPAA #180

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.