N.E. Trades Cassell to Chiefs

• jldii

Just read that the Pats traded Matt Cassell and Mike Vrable to the Chiefs for a 4th round draft pick!!

We got Sage for 3 years @ $9m, and the Chiefs get these 2 players for a 4th round pick!

Whats going on here? Cassell I think would draw a lot higher market value than that!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

WOW, that is absolutely wild. I agree with you; I really thought he would garner more than he did. A 4th round pick? WITH Vrabel? That’s just nuts. I guess the economy is affecting these guys too.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

ESPN is reporting that the deal was for the Chief’s 2nd round pick, #34 overall. Which for those 2 players is a great deal for the Chiefs, but I would assume that Cassel is going to try and get a long term contract done with KC for big bucks

Steelers

The Chiefs got them for a 2nd round pick (34th over all). Lets see what he can do with the Chiefs offense. He had some pretty good players and coaches around him in New England.

jldii

2nd round, 4th round, doesn’t really matter. Either way that deal was a steal for the Chiefs.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

2nd round, 4th round, doesn’t really matter. Either way that deal was a steal for the Chiefs.

Uh, ya.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Actually we had to give up a 2nd round pick for 26 yo Castle (got this info from the local CBS afiliate here in KC)and as far as Vrable I don’t know for sure.

We’ll see if it such a good trade later after all Vrable has been in the league for 11 years. If we could just have Jerrad Allen back from Minnesota, I still miss haveing number 69.

I could have saved myself a little typing had I read the rest of the thread… I think I heard something about 14 million a year being Castles price tag.

teedsman
    Cottage Grove, MN

Why didn’t the Vikings go after Cassell?? I really don’t understand this . Do they think they can wave a magic wand and an average QB will become the next Joe Montana? C’mon Vikes, get it together.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Culpepper was good w/ Randy Moss, so was Cassel. We will see if he is good w/ Bowe, an aging Gonzales and some also rans.

Likewise, Rosenfels had Andre Johnson. I wonder if he will be as average w/ a good running game and not much else.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Cassel is already signed. Patriots had to dump the franchise tag on him. He was not going to be traded anywhere other then to Kansas City for a second round pick. Pioli came from New England where he worked closely with Belichek. This was a done deal as soon as they determined Brady would be ready.

He was never going to be a Viking no matter what.

jldii

Someone explain this if you can….

It was my understanding that signing a player with the “franchise tag” would cost the team signing him 1 or 2 1st round draft picks.

Did KC give that 34th on top of any 1st round picks in order to get Vrabel in the deal also?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Nope, Kansas City did not sign him away from New England (which would have cost them 2 first round picks) they acquired him in a trade with New England.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Which move was bigger?
    30% Redskins sign Albert Haynesworth
    70% Chiefs trade for Matt Cassel
    Total Votes: 109464

General manager Carl Peterson left the Chiefs and ex NE Patriots general manager Scott Pioli replacing him the team has made quite a transformation. Our new Head Coach Todd Haley from the Cards replaced Herm Edwards. And Damien Huard is now replaced by Matt Cassel

I can finally see the Chiefs at the very least becoming a 500 team for the 2009 season.

The Cassel / Vrable trade was for our second round draft pick 34 overall. Rumor has it that we will convert the defence to a 3-4. Keep your line backers close because we will be looking….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.