new member looking for advice

• jasonhoerter
    Minnesota

I’m taking off for Texas on Sunday to fish Lake Fork for bass. Will be pulling my boat back this time and want to concentrate on the river in the upcoming months. I don’t have much experience and need some advice. I have fished pool 4 before but being surrounded by 200 boats is not for me. Can someone recommend a guide who could show me some spots on pool 2.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Steve Dezurik knows it really well and seems like a pretty nice bloke too.

Lots of us know the river rather well and will offer open seats too. Are you looking for LM or SM bass?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Welcome to IDO.

You’ll find lots of help here. The best advice I can give is to not let BrianK lead you astray. Some darned good walleye anglers have been taken down Brian’s preferred dark track of the catfish world and have never quite been the same afterward. What goes on after dark is seldom mentioned . Just beware.

Crowds are a norm at certain times of the year. Still, you’ll find areas that seem almost desolate on pool 4 even during the high volumn periods and still be able to catch fish. Pool 4 is a 26 mile long piece of bliss and not all of the fish head all the way to the dam to spawn. Many, not all. You can find solitude.

Again, welcome to IDO. Good fishing and luck on your quests.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I’m taking off for Texas on Sunday to fish Lake Fork for bass. Will be pulling my boat back this time and want to concentrate on the river in the upcoming months. I don’t have much experience and need some advice. I have fished pool 4 before but being surrounded by 200 boats is not for me. Can someone recommend a guide who could show me some spots on pool 2.

Don’t hesitate to hit pool 4 with a guide. There are plenty of places to get away from the crowds and catch big walleye. I would contact Dustin Stewart for a guide trip. Dustin knows that river as well as anyone and he will take you away from the crowds to catch BIG ‘eyes. He’s a good guy to shoot the breeze with in between tanks too. You can search the fishing reports on here for past reports from Dustin and you’ll see that he knows what he’s doing.

His website:

http://www.idaguides.com

James and Tuck are also listed on that site and would also be great choices if they are taking clients.

Steve Dezurik would be a great choice but I believe he is taking a break from the guide business to spend more time with family for while. Can’t blame him. Kids are only young for a short time.

Good luck and have fun!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Keep an eye on the “Trip Swap” forum too. You will see guys looking for an extreme net man every once in a while. Welcome to the site.

-J.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Quote:

show me some spots on pool 2.

There are not any fish in P2

Welcome to IDO! And keep an eye out for open seats.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

You will see guys looking for an extreme net man every once in a while.

And if you are a hockey extreme net man you are welcome to share a seat in my boat on Pool 2 anytime.

P.S. I love that commercial.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

trashman,

As Wade mentioned in a earlier post, I am no longer guiding but I would be more than happy to help point you in the right direction. There are alot of great sticks here on the site to help you out as well. Using the powerful search tool here you can dig up alot of discussions. Dig back to this time of year last year and you get an idea on where we were at back then to help you plan your spring in the coming weeks ahead.

Based on many past years, the main bite here on P2 starts to take shape in early March. About the entire month of March, the big walleyes are very cooperative to catch. Here are a couple of my reports from last March;

3-19-08 Pool 2 Report

3-26-08 Pool 2 Report

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.