Looking For Spring Smallmouths

• bnbblake

After fishing Smallmouths on Lake of the Woods the last several years I’m interested in looking for some new and improved waters to try. Since I live in the Kansas City area it is difficult to try different lakes throughout the year so I want to make sure that the trip is worth my while (and $$$). Specifically, I’m looking for consistent producing Smallmouth waters that are not crowded as well as any available lodging information and it doesn’t necessarily have to be in Canada (Wis. or Minn. is OK too). FYI – I bring my own boat. Thanks for the help.

jamesiner
    elk river, mn

i have chased smallies and walleyes all over the great lakes and midwest. I currently live in MN and find Mille Lacs hard to beat size and numbers. The upper Mississippi River is very good as well. Rainey lake is also a good time doing the houseboat thing. The Vilas/Iron counties area of upper Wisc also has some great smallie fising in the spring as well–small lakes and flowages.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Add Green Lake in Spicer, MN to the list. The walleye anglers in that lake are pissed about all the smallies in it. A big spring tournament two years ago had nearly everybody with limits averaging 3lbs for the entire tournament. Amazing.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

For quiet fishing Northern Wi would be my first choice. A ton of quality lakes smallmouth lakes. If you want a list shoot me a PM.
    Mille Lacs is my first choice in Mn as the size and numbers are hard to beat.
    Although there are many other great lakes farther north.

ROn

BassBuster2

Rainy lake is a fantastic lake for smallies.The best lake I have ever fished for big smallmouths.The spring is one of the best times up here for smallies.This one was 6.5 lbs

Bassbuster 1 http://www.fallsmotel.org

thegun
    mn

I second Rainy!

my old man had a resort for ten years on a lake that dumps into rainy! his lake was loaded with bass but rainy is just unreal! average size and shear #s of fish are amazing!

There are other great lakes to go but rainy is by far one of the best all around lakes out there! the scenery alone is worth the trip!

good luck!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Extreme northern Wisconsin and The U.P of Michigan have 100s of lakes that hardly ever see a boat…and have tons of scrappy bass growing fat and old.
    Chequamegon Bay, (Ashland WI) is considered on of the best Smallie destinations on earth Here is a 7lb fish from last Sept…15 minutes from my home…Iron Mountain, MI.

So many choices…

hodge91
    La Crosse WI

I would add Sturgeon Bay and the harbors on Green Bay, just need to be aware of the wind as you can get some rough water here in a hurry. I beleive they had 3 over 6 pounds in the Open last year.

ripnlips

yeah i looked at last years open and the winning weight was almost 57 lbs not bad for 12 smallies

hib
    Waterloo, IA

One place not mentioned although not exactly the direction you may want to head would be Lake Erie. Superb smallie fishing on the western basin near any of the islands. Deeper water with large boulders and rock. First couple weeks in May is a great time if the weather will cooperate and allow you to get out. I have fished the area many times and have consistently landed 5lb fish or better. Great time to get on some nice walleye also.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We have late spring fishing. Season opens last of May up here in Wi and Mn.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.