James…..Why not a view count?

• jldii

Just wondering…..when we look at say, the General discussion page with all the threads listed, you have a count of how many responses. Why not a count on how many times its being/been viewed also?

There have been/are some rather hot button issues from time to time, but the only idea of what interest there is, is by the number of responses, and that doesn’t tell how many people are actually following the thread.

Is it possible to insert a # times viewed column next to the # of responses column?

jhalfen

It used to exist, several website upgrades ago.

It was my impression that the constantly updating view counts were computer resource hogs, and that those resources are best devoted to other “mission critical” website services.

Maybe James will correct me when he gets back into the office.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

If I remember right, those numbers were pulled as they take a lot of space on the IDO servers.
    I also remember someone asking for them to return and the answer was never

Maybe after James gets back from his trip he will answer himself.

Ron

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

If I remember right, those numbers were pulled as they take a lot of space on the IDO servers.
    I also remember someone asking for them to return and the answer was never

Maybe after James gets back from his trip he will answer himself.

Ron

You both are correct.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

This post has been viewed atleast 4 times now

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

The guys are correct. The constant updates on the database to track views produces a much larger work load. The database tables are not row level locking (by choice at this point) so any view updates to them will be blocking other queries such as selects for generating pages.

It’s a balancing act for sure.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Hey Guys, Leave something GOOD well enough alone, let a sleeping dog lay, and don’t Micro- Manage….or all of the above…….”Hairjig”

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I thought the View # count was always interesting when Lip posted pictures of Stacie holding fish. But that was before she was an old married woman. I see no need for the count now.

redneck
    Rosemount

Your a bad one Sarge Where’s that video of you doing the fishy dance

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I thought the View # count was always interesting when Lip posted pictures of Stacie holding fish. But that was before she was an old married woman. I see no need for the count now.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

hey,,, if it ain’t broke…your not trying hard enough!
    -Red Green

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.