Wont be long…….

• tanders
    Rush River, WI

As it rolls into February I cant help but think of the upcoming morel season! Theres nothing I enjoy more than a fresh brown trout off the grill and a HUGE plate of morels, with of course a High Life or three! Wont be long……

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Now I’m hungry

With the moisture so far this year it should be a good season

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Speaking of morels I may have to fry some up tonight with some crappie fillets!!!

Ed

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It will be interesting how many spores survived the floods around my farm. We had all the flooding (like many people in the midwest) in Fall of 07 and again in June of 08. I picked a total of about one 2 gallon bucket full this last spring. Will be interesting to see how they rebound…

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Geez, those pics make my mouth water. Didn’t know people canned them. I have preserved morals every possible way……. I thought
    Care to share your recipe or a how to Ed?

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

You bet I’ll share, we’ve tried freezing and dehydrating and this is absolutely the best way we’ve found. You can’t tell them from fresh picked.

A “Canning” recipe
    I found a canning recipe and I think I might like this better than freezing or drying.
    Sterilize wide mouth pint canning jars and add 1 teaspoon canning salt.
    Fill jars with Morels……They sure look pretty when I set the morels in the jar stem down around the outside and stacked full and tight in the center.
    Add room temperature distilled water or reverse osmosis (r/o) water straight from the tap
    Pressure cook for 30 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
    BOY do these look beautiful…….when the mushrooms come out of the pressure canner there look like the jar has a lot of water on the bottom….when cooled the morels seem to sick toward the bottom …..They look and taste GREAT. This recipe was given to me by a migrant morel hunter and he claims to have gotten the recipe from an old Amish cookbook.
    NOTE: DON’T throw the water you drain off the mushrooms away …add it to your gravy ……..ITS the BEST.
    <H2)follow up note: Make sure you note that mushrooms of any type should never be canned in quarts…..pints or half pints/jelly jars.

ED

tanders
    Rush River, WI

wow those look GOOOOOOD!

hib
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks for the recipe Ed. Hope to find enough of em this spring so I can try it. Didn’t have much luck last year.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I also have a recipe for after they are canned, Morel Mushroom Alfredo. If you think you want to try it let me know and put that recipe up also.

Ed

tanders
    Rush River, WI

You bet! Throw it at us! Im a big fan of alfredo

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I’ve had a lot of people ask me make this at outings I go to here in Iowa.

Morel Mushroom Alfredo

2 Tbs.- cooking oil
    1small – onion
    2 pints – canned morel mushrooms
    1 carton – whipping cream
    Seasoned salt to taste.
    1 package – grated 5 cheese from Kraft
    1 package linguine

Cook linguine according to package.
    In a deep frying pan sauté onion in oil until tender, add 2 pints of mushrooms, including liquid, bring to a boil, add whipping cream and stir in, let simmer for about 3 min. add whole package of cheese and stir till melted.
    Pour over strained noodles and mix. Add some cracked pepper from a mill to taste.
    Enjoy.

Ed

tanders
    Rush River, WI

Sounds great! Definately going to give that a go this spring! Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.