Slab Crappies on Rainy’s US side

• poundingeyes
    Chetek, WI

During the course of the last several summers we have had good success catching big crappies on Rainy. We’ve enjoyed that success on the Canadian side in Red Gut Bay. Wondering where anybody is fishing on the American side for these slabs. I enjoy going into Canada but it would be awfully convenient to get on these fish somewhere a little closer to Int’l Falls. I’m not asking for your spots… Well maybe I am! C’mon now! Share the love!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

IDO Staffer Chris Granrud, AKA Rainy Daze Guide Service has some awesome crappie fishing in his area. I am sure he will chime in with some info for you.

Until then, check out Chris’ report.

Bob Gordon
    Washington,IL

Nice fish !!

uffdapete
    Rainy Lake, MN

There was a good crappie bite on the American side last spring and fall but crappie fishing from year to year is consistently better on the Canadian side primarily for one reason. Black Bay is the one primary area where they spawn on the American side with a few other small shallow bays being occasional secondary areas. All of these are along the south shore and exposed to the effects of any wind out of the north that will bring in cold water off the main lake and can drop water temps by 10 or more degrees in 24 hours which really takes a toll on the success of the spawn. Consequently we have 1-3 good spawning years out of 10. The harvest in 08 was mostly a result of 1 good year class with another good year class being around 8-9″. However the crappies harvested in 08 were, for most anglers, non-existent in 07 and before. Apparently there was a desirable, concentrated food source that attracted them last year. Whether that will happen this year remains to be seen. Not trying to discourage you or drive business away but it is the way it is.

The 70% of Rainy north of the border has some huge bays with good spawning habitat that are better protected from north winds. One downside imo is commercial netting of crappies still takes place in Canadian waters.

Now the disclaimer: one thing that would improve your chances of a good bite in American waters in any given year is having Rainydaze in the boat. Chris is on the water a lot, a dedicated slab chaser (not in the “most anglers” noted above) and if there’s a good bite on he won’t be far away ….. unless monster pike or walleyes with shoulders have distracted him.

poundingeyes
    Chetek, WI

I’m beginning to understand something… I need Chris. I was on the Rainydaze site this morning and saw the slabs he’s getting through the ice. THAT gets my heart pumping! Thanks for the information. I’ve known Black Bay to be a decent crappie bite but really have heard of few other quality places. What you say makes alot of sense. I don’t mind being on the Canadian side. I know where I can hammer the big specs over there. Always looking for new and productive water though. I think I’ll let Chris show me…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.