Trail Cameras

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I am looking for advice on a trail camera.

I have a small farm quite aways from where I live. When I was there this weekend someone had broken into my machine shed. They took one high dollar item, but left a lot there. I usually do not go there in the winter, so my guess is they plan to come back for more (they closed the building up real nice). I want to put a trail camera in the building to record their return.

I am looking for infrared so a flash does not give the camera away. I also want the shutter to be very quiet for the same reason.

Any suggestions?

Also how close does the movement need to be for it to trigger.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I had that happen too. I bought a reconix camerra was around 450 but worth it. takes the cold and battery lasts almost forever. 15,000 picts or so. it has rapid speed so will pick up a moving vehical. set it to take a burst of picts so it may get lic. numbers. the sheriff in our country in wisconsin has caught many people with similar units.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

To note many units have a led that flashes on taking picture just put black elctrical tpe over that.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I was at Cabelas with a buddy of mine who had a similair situation. They were great with letting him “test” them out in a dark storage room. I don’t remember which one he bought, but that was also a couple of years ago. I’m sure the quality has come a long ways. I have a couple of older Cuddies, but they are louder than what you would want.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Security systems are not that expensive and a great piece of mind! You can also hook up smoke and freeze alarms.

Personally, I’d prefer to have them caught in the act rather than trying to track them down after the robery!

-J.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

John, I agree 100%. Unfortunately due to the location, that is not an option. Electricity is only available via generator and telephone is cellular.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Scout Guard makes a really small one. If you go to there website you will see that is what people are useing them for. They hide them in bird houses. Let us know how you turn out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.