Trolling motor battery

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Ive got the choice of a regular deep cycle battery, a gel battery, and an orbital, or 6pack style battery. Regular battery is 50 bucks, other two are right at $130. What would be you choice, and what is the justification of the more expensive battery?

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

I just got two of the regular type deep cycle 27’s @ Batteries Plus the other day. I was told they are made by Exide. They are on sale for $65 right now, I believe. I can’t seem to justify the added expense for the more high tech style, as I think they will only last as long as the regular DC’s anyway. Nothing scientific, just my gut feeling. FYI: That two that went bad would only have been two years old this month, and they were shot. Northern brand, regular style DC’s. Gregory

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

I switched to the Cabela’s AGM batteries 3 years ago, this year will tell for me I rarely could get 3 yrs on the older technology batteries. All info I have read is that the AGM’s should go approximately twice as long. We will see, so far so good.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Pay the extra money and go with an AGM glass mate battery. The other batteries will work but once you start putting a load on your batteries they won’t hold up. The last thing you want is a good day out fishing cut short because you bought a cheaper battery. I have the AGM glass mate in my boat and love them. I do a few tournaments each year and never ran short on power. That with live wells running and trolling motor flying and they wont freeze so no need to pull them each winter. Not to mention the life guys are getting out of these is unbeatable. Mine starting there 3rd season and are still going strong.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Northern 31 series are great batteries. I have had many other cheaper batteries and they work fine for the first year but after that it is down hill. I believe Northerns are around $70-$80. Try them you will like them.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

maybe a bit off topic, but if your main motor battery is low on juice due to running the livewells and depth finder, is it ok to use a glass matte battery to start the motor and then switch back? I now have some of those items going to the trolling motor batteries, but I was told never to use a deep cycle to start an engine.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

My AGMs are dual purpose.

igotone

Quote:

I switched to the Cabela’s AGM batteries 3 years ago, this year will tell for me I rarely could get 3 yrs on the older technology batteries. All info I have read is that the AGM’s should go approximately twice as long. We will see, so far so good.

Same here! Love them so far

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

maybe a bit off topic, but if your main motor battery is low on juice due to running the livewells and depth finder, is it ok to use a glass matte battery to start the motor and then switch back? I now have some of those items going to the trolling motor batteries, but I was told never to use a deep cycle to start an engine.

Yes, if you don’t leave it hooked up to the motor while it is running. Deep cycle batteries aren’t designed to be charged at a high amperage rate like what your alternator puts out. You would do best by having jumper cables on board to jump start the motor if necessary.

I have 2 Everstart regular type deep cycles that work great. They also have one of the best warranties out there for deep cycles.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I run Interstate 31 series batteries. Just monitor the water every once and awhile and you will be good to go. They are not the cheapest battery in the world. Sometimes it pays not to be cheap though.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I have 2 Everstart regular type deep cycles that work great. They also have one of the best warranties out there for deep cycles.

Ditto on the Walmart Everstart. Keep them properly charged and maintain the proper water level. No reason you can’t get 4-5 years out of a set.

-J.

wkw

I have the Everstart batteries also and am well satisfied. Had one go bad a couple years ago, took it back to Wal-Mart,they tested it, and said help yourself to a new one. No questions asked.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

I was told by a friend of mine that if you have to use your trolling motor battery to start your outboard to NEVER unhook it and switch back to your starter battery with the outboard running. You will do major damage to your outboard motor’s charging system. You should use jumper cables. Maybe someone else can verify this?

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Does anyone know if AGM or gel are better than one or the other? Also is Optima the best AGM battery or does someone know of an equal or better brand. I am looking at their 24 volt sytem that is $400 and is supposed to last 3-5 years. I can’t see spending that kind of money if it is only going to last 3 years. any help here? Optima also claims that you can run your motor on their batteries and the high output alternator will not hurt the battery.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.