Advice on used boat purchase?

• krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

I am looking at purchasing a used boat. Overall it seems like a pretty good deal, but the engine needs some major work. It needs either new pistons, rings, and cylinders bored or a new power head. Does anyone have any experience with rebuilt motors? Will the motor still have a long life after a rebuild like this? Should I stay away from something like this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

What motor is it?Sounds like an Opti I would stay away from a major rebuild but a whole new power head may be OK.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Personally… I would plan on putting a new or used motor on it with a warranty. Its impossible to know the extent of the damage without pulling it apart. If one bearing isnt replaced(example) that is overlooked an damaged… the motor will see a repair shop again soon.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

What year and model of motor is it?

deerdragger

This is the best time of year to be buying a boat. Plenty on the market and most sellers are pretty motivated. I’d keep looking. My two cents.

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

It’s a 70 HP Evinrude. I don’t have the year of the motor yet, but the boat is an 89′ and I would guess the motor is about the same.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Don’t get it! I had one of those and it had oil issues that got really expensive.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Make an offer as if the boat had no motor at all. I would not rebuild that motor. Start shopping for a used replacenment and try to max out the HP if it was rated over 70hp. Good luck.

-J.

KirtH
    Lakeville

I had a 60hp Evy 3 cyl what a pain in the , 2 pistons, VRO, then a power head

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I bought an 89 Evinrude 70 on a project boat. I had the carb and cylinders rebuilt professionally, replaced the fuel pump (got rid of the VRO oil injection in the process, so now I have to mix gas), replaced the ignition coils, replaced the primer solenoid, and even had to replace the lower unit. Of course, it didn’t need all this at once and I didn’t expect to fix as much as I did. Still, I shopped hard for good prices on parts and did all the work except the rebuild myself (which was done by a mechanic-friend of a friend for a good price) … and I still wound up spending more money than I would have on similar, used motor in good shape. The motor starts and runs great now, but it had better since everything on it is brand new!

That was my experience from a similar starting point. I saw the ad you’re probably refering to and it brought back memories. I like Jon J’s advice.

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

Thanks a lot for the advice everybody.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Agree too with JJ’s advice. Even if you fix the motor what’s to say the lower unit isn’t in rough shape… Lots of things you can’t tell on a non running motor.

Myself I’d look for a different boat with a running motor, long ago I decided after dealing with motor issues for a couple years that my hobby wasn’t working on motors, or trying to row my runabout back to the dock, it was fishing. Since then I bought my motor new, took good care of them, and not been stranded on the water since (2001) Even though it was a bit more to bite off at the time, looking back I know I did the right thing.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

This is the best time of year to be buying a boat. Plenty on the market and most sellers are pretty motivated. I’d keep looking. My two cents.

What he said. Unless this boat is a giveaway, keep looking. My 40HP Johnson broke a ring last year. $1500.00 all over town to rebuild it with a MINIMUM of 2 weeks in the shop. This did not include any lower work. Powerhead only.Found a dam nice used motor 20 years newer with power tilt/trim upgrade from a reputable dealer for $1300.00 exchange and only 1-1/2 days in the shop. This motor was gone through and given a new water pump and prop, plus fresh plugs and lubes. This was a classic no-brainer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.