wisconsin fishing question on trolling

• clintm
    mazeppa mn

I heard that it is illegal to troll in wisconsin is that true? I’m heading to Cable this weekend on Namakogin. Never fished in Wisconsin before.
    Thanks
    Clint

damman
    Pepin county Wi

there is no lake that I know of that you cannot troll in here in Wisconsin. There maybe some exception of some lakes but I don’t know of any.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

Thanks my brother said he read it on a wisconsin dnr page it said no motor trolling or backtrolling to catch fish

clintm
    mazeppa mn

Motor Trolling
    “Motor trolling” is trailing a lure, bait, or similar device used to attract or catch fi sh from
    a boat while being propelled (forwards or backwards) by a motor or a sail or while being
    towed by a boat being propelled by a motor or sail. Motor trolling is illegal except in some
    counties and waters as listed in the section titled Special Regulations—Listed by County,
    beginning on page 19. Casting and immediate retrieval of a bait or lure while positioning a
    boat is not trolling. “Backtrolling” is only legal in waters where motor trolling is allowed.
    “Position fi shing” is fi shing from a boat where the fi shing line extends vertically into the
    water while the boat is maneuvered (forwards or backwards) by a motor used to position
    or maintain the position of the boat over underwater structure. Position fi shing is allowed
    statewide in all waters.

I found this on page 16 in the online WI dnr fishing manual

clintm
    mazeppa mn

read farther and I guess I’m good in Bayfield county I guess it is up to each county if they allow it or not

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

“No trolling” is the standard rule in WI. There are of course exceptions, many of them. Read the DNR book, look for your lake or county list to see if your lake is the exception. Otherwise, no motor trolling.

If you’re not sure, I’d recommend not trolling.

Eric

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Gonna be going to the Holcombe flowage in Chippewa county and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the reminder to check. The flowage is in a county that allows trolling.

I should add though that the portion in Rusk county cannot be trolled.

buck-slayer

I think it goes by county. I know its illegal to troll in St Criox County butyou can troll in Barron County

wiromes
    Eau Claire, WI

Hey CatchnRelease, check the regs again. Mine say Chippewa County trolling is not permitted county wide but is in Rusk County. You are ok on Holcombe and tribs up to the first bridge.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

WI DNR Regs

I’m looking at pages 22 and 39 of this 2007-2008 pdf file. What am I missing?

jhalfen

Page 22: Holcombe Flowage (includes tributaries of the flowage from their mouths upstream to the first dam or lake: There is no minimum length limit on walleye, but walleye from 14″ through 18″ may not be kept, and only one fish over 18″ is allowed. The minimum length limit on muskellunge is 40″ on the flowage and the Chippewa River , the Jump River, and to State Hwy 194 on Main Creek. Motor trolling is permitted in the flowage including tributaries up to the first road or railroad bridge.

jhalfen

Quote:

there is no lake that I know of that you cannot troll in here in Wisconsin. There maybe some exception of some lakes but I don’t know of any.

You need to re-read the regulations before you get in the boat next time.

DanKnittle

I do know that in Barron County where Im from allows trolling but Im not sure where else. Im glad I started reading this becuase now I know what to look for in the dnr book. I guess I have always wondered myself as to what we can and cant do here in wisconsin. hope ya’ll are having fun fishing. Cant wait to get back out there and try myslef.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

You’re good to troll on Namakagon. We musky fish the opener up there.

(EDIT) – See page 20 of the regs. You might be able to read it.

Lars

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.