Tragedy Strikes Pool 8

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I have heard from more than one source now that someboy put their boat through the Dam on pool 8 today and capsized and was lost in the raging current. Supposedly they never surfaced and helicopter crews are out looking. I guess there are 2 people missing after this ordeal. Anybody else have any more info on this? It must be true, I heard it from 2 completely non related people that don’t even know each other. Either way it is a very sad deal

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That is a tragedy.

Be careful out there folks.

justin_panno
    La Crosse, WI

that is messed up, i am praying for their family

Newexplorer

on kstp news 4 drowned, 2 kids, 2 adults

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Very Sad indeed
    our prayers are with their family

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

very sad !!
    our prayers are with their family

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Very sad indeed.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Wow, what a terrifying way to die Being close to the dam in a 16′ boat is a powerful experience not to mention being in a 12′ boat.

Prayers to the families.

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Very Sad indeed. Our prayers go out to the family.

Boating and fishing on the river requires a whole different awareness in relation to dams and current flow.

Very tragic.

jhwisc
    Verona, WI.

Prayers sent.

John

bassmaster
    SE, MN

What a sad thing on a holiday weekend. Hats off to the people who tried to save the family.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Wow, we were fishing the river and heard all the sirens, never thinking it would end up this tragic…..prayers out from Byron

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I just drove by the dam. It looks like they have it closed off to the public. There’s about 6-7 boats out there driving around, looking for the members of that family. It’s a sad site to see, knowing what their task is and that no good will come of it. My only hope is their bodies will be found so their families can have some closure.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Thoughts and prayers out to all involved.

I think I’ve seen that boat on the water before. Looking at the photo in the La Crosse Tribune, it looks like the boat that has “Black Thunder” painted on it. I used to laugh when I’d see that boat since it was such a little craft. Certainly nothing to laugh at anymore.

I wonder if the sinking was caused by the transom being damaged during the attempted tow.

My heart goes out to them.

CR

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

very tragic indeed, my prayers go out to the family. I would put money on it that the boat would not have gone down had the rope been attached to the bow instead of the stern, that way the current would not have pulled it under… sad story in deed!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

God Bless and we are praying

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I would put money on it that the boat would not have gone down had the rope been attached to the bow instead of the stern,

That was my thoughts as well. It is a tragic way to lose family members and a terrible way to die.
    The only thing I can think of why they hooked to the rear of the boat was because that was all they could get? I am also sure that in the heat of the moment the rescuers were just scrambling to get them back away from the rollers.

scott s m
    south central MN

My family also sends our prayers out to the family of 4 along with their extended family.. very tragic.

VikeFan

Quote:

Thoughts and prayers out to all involved.

I wonder if the sinking was caused by the transom being damaged during the attempted tow…

…My heart goes out to them.

CR

A horrible incident indeed…

The search for all four people continues this morning. As if this isn’t already bad enough for the families, recovering bodies in the tailwaters can’t be easy with the current, depth, and visibility, making the wait that much worse.

I have a 14′ v-hull, and I have had a couple of close calls below the locks and dams, but those were due to carelessness on my part, not horrible luck. Be careful out there, people.

As for why they boat swamped, I wondered if they tied the rope off to the bow or the stern. But, if you had four people in a very small boat, I think you might be pushing the weight capacity way too close, and even tying the rope off at the front and towing the stalled boat that way might have been enough to pull it under. I haven’t heard anything official one way or another on what exactly happened.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Sounds like they are still looking. Doesn’t look good for the outcome of the family

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

No way should that small boat have been near the dam with 4 people in it. If I had seen them Iwould have offered a cordial warning.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.