who uses a Foodsaver??? and which one?????

• 2catch1

I am thinking of getting a foodsaver but I know nothing about them, which model? price? can it run on 110v only? I am going to use it for fish only. Thanks for any input, Dave

AGM
    Lake City, MN

My wifes dad has one i’m not impresed with it;the bags are expensive and he gets freezer burn.I think the only way to freeze fish is to put it into a freezer zip lock fill with water and zip shut eliminating any air pockets leaving a little room for expantion.My fish that we do this way taste like the day ya caught’em.”Thats all i got to say about that” Forest Gump.
    Glassman

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I run the Professinal III. Best gift I ever got.
    I use it for everything, pheasant, fish, hamburger, beer sticks, pork chops, etc. I buy in bulk and save some money.
    For fish, lay flat partially freeze and then place in the foodsaver.
    The bags are expensive but I have yet to get freezer burn.

mikev

I also have the food saver brand, use it only for venison now, I have used it for fish, but I continue to use zip lock bags and fill with water as well. I think that works the best.

jasono00
    cities

Post deleted by Chris Tuckner

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I got a foodsaver for xmas and i love it. It’s great for pheasant breasts and fish. I re-use the bags time after time. I’d freeze my fish in bags of water, but i keep a ton of fish, so space is at a premium.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I’ve been through 2 Food Savers and liked them a bunch. However, I’ve found something better. Press and Seal Freezer wrap. I wrap my fish or meat in this and put it in a ziplock. Quick, easy, and a fraction of the cost of the FS stuff.

birddog
    Mn.

I have a Black/Decker…same concept. Works great for venision, pheasant, bulk steaks, etc. Not so impressed for fish, first have to put in the freezer to firm it up, then bag. An extra time consuming, extra dishes to clean step and I also get freezer burn on the ends of the fillet after 6 months or so. I’ve gone back to water/ziploc. I can keep fish a heck of alot longer with the water/zip. Not to mention the bags are expensive. Not impressed for fish but all other game, steaks, etc, love it!!

BIRDDOG

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Get the more expensive FoodSaver like Slider mentioned. It has a better vacuum motor.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

get the biggest one possible, we have one at the cabin and use it more then most people would in a lifetime, did 12 deer last year, fish, bear, i love the thing, i just wish we had more then one

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

I also have the professional model and love it, I have found if I pat the fillets dry before freezing it works perfect. I have yet to get any freezer burn and have used it for 2 years.

td69
    marshall, mn

We got one of the Foodsaver models this past year also, I don’t remember which model, but we spent about a $100 on it. It has been pretty good for freezing/vacumm sealing. I did have some trouble with fish filets at first too (or anything that had a lot of moisture). Like the others said it is better with the fish to get them partially froze first. Overall I’m happy with it. I’ve spent money on dumber things

Oh yeah, 110V only…

DONOTDELETE

Had one for a while and put it on E-bay. I know lot’s of folks love them but I never got ours to work right. Too many bags I thought were sealed ballooned up in the freezer. I had two deer cut up waiting for wrapping the day I gave up on it. Too darn slow, any blood on the edge and it does not seal. A friend who likes it a lot lays his fish fillets on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they get a frost coating. Then he bags them, puts a paper towel in and then vacuumn seals it. Come on, who has that kind of time.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

I just have the 100 Foodsovor one and it works great if you make sure whatever you are freezing is dry or partially froze. Had alot of problems with it at first and then i figured out that if there is any moisture it wont get a good vacum. Like Derek said buy one with the biggest motor possible.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have the food saver V2860. It has settings for moist and dry foods, along with a manual pulse option so you can decide just how much of the air you want to remove. I like to use the manual option for fish as I find the auto settings to overdue the suction just a touch and squish all the moisture out of the fillets. A firend of mine had a lower model that didn’t have the moist / dry settings or pulse option and he didn’t like it for fish. I love mine and have kept fish for close to a year and haven’t had freezer burn. Tasted as good as the day they were caught.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Another thing you can do if you have a lot of moisture is to fold up a paper towel so it is the width of the bag and put it between the seal and the food. Stops the moisture from being pulled through but still lets all the air get sucked out.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

I have been using the less expensive 50$ foodsaver and it works great! I have found it to be the only way to go for freezing salmon and trout.One trick I have been doing is put your fillets in a collander,then in a large bowl to collect the water and let set over night in the fridge.This will allow the fillets to dry for proper vacume sealing.

I use foodsaver brand works good except you have to freeze the fish a little first or put a paper towel across the top so it don’t suck water out otherwise the bag won’t seal.

2catch1

Thanks for all the replies. I have a problem with the ziploc bags. I have had filets shift or sink to the sides or bottom and get freezer burnt. I always get all the air out too. I also hate all the room it takes up!!! Sometimes it also takes awhile for the bags to freeze completely and since we are on vacation a lot fishing this becomes an issue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.