Rochester Post Bulletin Anti Gun Opinions

• troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

Anyone else see the anti gun bs in the PB tonight? I just renewed my subsciption after canceling it a year ago over another issue and now this. They sure do make it hard to want to read that paper. They had the old editor/publisher basically denounce all gun ownership and then had a counterpoint from the outdoor editor which really wasn’t any different. When the outdoors editor thinks it’s ok to get rid of some guns, you know the paper is crap. Doesn’t he realize the anti-gun people won’t stop before they take away HIS precious 22 rifle? I’m done with my rant and will be canceling my subscription for good tommorrow.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

WARNING- Reading this may cause high blood pressure.

2/28/2007 9:27:48 AM
    The issue of how to deal with gun-related violence in this country continues to divide Americans along political and ideaological lines. This is one of two differing perspectives on the subject.

A recent report by the U.S. Justice department indicates that Americans were victimized by gun violence in 2005 at a greater rate than in the previous year, after a long decline.

The report indicates there were two violent gun crimes in the U.S. for every 1,000 individuals, compared to 1.4 in 2004. There were 2.6 robberies for every 1,000 individuals, compared with 2.1 the year before.

At the same time, the New York Times published an article that should be considered in the light of the report on gun violence. It lists the volume of small arms produced throughout the world and — to no one’s surprise — the United States is by far the largest producer.

According to the Times, the U.S. exports $533 million worth of small arms every year. That is more than twice as many weapons as produced by Italy, the second largest producer.

The newspaper also reports that 1,000 people are killed every day worldwide by small arms fire — 365,000 people per year. Of those killed, 56 percent are victims of homicides, 25 percent die in war, 14 percent are suicides and 5 percent die in firearms accidents. In addition, three people are wounded for every person killed. That would indicate a total of 1,460,000 people killed and wounded annually with small weapons throughout the world.

Unfortunately, most people do not relate the staggering total of gun casualties and the prodigious output of weapons by this and other countries. Since there is a need to reduce the tragic toll of homicides and other shooting deaths, one practical step certainly would be to stop putting so many guns in circulation.

However, the National Rifle Association and other gun enthusiasts maintain a constant pressure on political leaders to make gun usage more prevalent. The state of Florida has passed “shoot first” legislation — laws that give a gun wielder the right to shoot first in various circumstances.

While that sounds ludicrous to the average citizen, it is a reflection of the warped thinking of those who want more guns, not fewer guns, in every neighborhood.

That kind of thinking leads directly to the prodigious loss of life caused by flooding the world with guns.

Under the Florida law, if you believe you are threatened with death or great bodily harm, you can pull your gun and pull the trigger. This could be in your home, in your car, at public meetings or at any place you might be. Under this law, the person holding the gun is judge and jury.

Laws of this kind can only increase the inordinate number of people killed and wounded by gunfire. This is especially true since similar laws have passed in Kentucky and are being considered in other states.

It is time to cut down on crime and restrict guns to soldiers and police officers. There are other ways to settle disputes.

And it is long past time to reduce the tragic toll of 1,460,000 people killed or wounded every year as a result of the unwarranted proliferation of weapons.

Bill Boyne is a former editor and publisher of the Post-Bulletin who writes a weekly column for the P-B.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

And the weak “counterpoint” for the outdoors editor

The issue of how to deal with gun-related violence in this country continues to divide Americans along political and ideaological lines. This is one of two differing perspectives on the subject.

I don’t own a handgun — I’ve never fired one, actually — and I never will.

Every year I get an invitation to join the National Rifle Association, and every year I toss it, unopened, into the garbage.

My extended family is under strict orders not to give toy guns to my children, because the idea of a pre-schooler “playing” with a replica of a deadly weapon is unacceptable.

Nevertheless, a ban on gun ownership would rob me of a big part of my identity. I’m a hunter, and my days afield with friends and family are more precious than gold.

But can hunting — and therefore, gun ownership — be defended without resorting to cliches like “Guns don’t kill people — people kill people”? Can hunters offer up something better than “If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns”?

I think we can, and without speculating about how a gun ban would or would not decrease crime in America. For all I know, it might. But such discussions are guesswork at best.

Instead, I’ll focus on the certain consequences of a gun ban.

For starters, every home, apartment, garage, machine shed, outbuilding, car and hollow tree in America would have to be searched, top-to-bottom, because a voluntary “Turn In Your Guns” program would fail miserably. Who would want the job of searching for weapons? Local police? The military? I don’t think so.

Next, there’s the wildlife problem. Banning guns would end hunting, and in two years America’s deer, goose and black bear populations would skyrocket. Deer-car collisions would soar, and bears, having lost their fear of people, would begin raiding people’s garbage cans and kitchen pantries. Corn and soybean fields would be destroyed by huge herds of deer and flocks of turkeys, and fear of Lyme disease, which is spread by deer ticks, would keep people out of the woods.

Economic problems would follow. With hunting allowed, wildlife provides a boon to state treasuries in the form of tourism dollars, license fees and the sale of hunting-related clothing and equipment. With guns banned, however, wildlife would be a financial drain, as government-trained “wildlife managers” would be needed to sterilize, poison or shoot animals in a vain attempt to control their populations.

Meanwhile, groups like Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited and countless other local, regional and national hunting associations no longer would have any reason to invest their time, energy and money in wildlife habitat. Wetlands would be drained, grasslands would be plowed and water quality in our rivers and lakes would decline amid fence-to-fence agriculture.

Finally, our nation’s children would be deprived of a chance to connect with nature and bond with their parents in a very special way. With video games, cell phones and the explosion of youth sports, it’s already tough enough to get kids into the woods, marshes and fields. A gun ban would make it even harder.

Are there too many handguns on our streets? Absolutely. Are there too many loopholes in our assault-weapons regulations? Without question.

But taking away the shotgun I inherited from my uncle and the .22 my grandfather gave me when I was 12 would create far more problems than it would solve.

Eric Atherton is the Post-Bulletin’s Outdoors Editor.

hof
    Rochester, MN

I am really surprised every time Bill Boyne writes an article that someone actually believes it is worth publishing. I can’t imagine that many people agree with anything he spews forth. One of his recent articles was about raising the tax on gasoline by a large amount so that people would use less gas. The guy is way off center…..

eyebuster
    Duluth

Wow thanks for posting that! I read the paper today but must have missed that.

Quote:

Are there too many loopholes in our assault-weapons regulations? Without question.

I hope this guy doesnt have the same sponsors as Zumbo

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I am never suprised by his agenda but am really disappointed in the soft counter from the outdoors editor- maybe he should take up sewing.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I do not subscribe to the PB never have and never will, they could not get a story straight if there life depended on it. In my lifetime there have been a few stories that made the PB that I had first hand knowledge of and they never get the story right. The only thing the PB is good for is wrapping up fish guts

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I do not subscribe to the PB never have and never will, they could not get a story straight if there life depended on it. In my lifetime there have been a few stories that made the PB that I had first hand knowledge of and they never get the story right. The only thing the PB is good for is wrapping up fish guts

GOOD ANSWER

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure which artical is worse!

Eric, you should be ashamed calling yourself…the Outdoor Editor.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I had read both articles (not a subscriber, but was forwarded them from a friend).

If that is what the PB considers a counterpoint, they are sadly mistaken. Saying the only issues with taking our guns is rounding them up, and wildlife is assinine.

I think we should all get together and send responses to the PB and see how much we can shake up the issue.

herefishyfishy
    MN

Just like charter communications needs some competition in town the pb could use some too. Raise the gas tax so we use less gas????

I almost wish I had a subscription so I could cancel

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

I’m done with the PB…never been anything but a FLUFF paper anyway….anything to make the city of Rochester Look good, and opinions of idiots…..they keep calling for me to renew….love the SILENCE button on my cell phone

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Gotta agree with you guys. As far as fine journalism goes these two opinions were pretty lame. The teenage writers do a better job. Greg Sellnow is in charge of the editorial page now. I guees he’d be the one to address your concerns to.

td69
    marshall, mn

Quote:

The only thing the PB is good for is wrapping up fish guts

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

The only paper in my house is the Outdoor News! I get my crucial weather and breaking new information right from Mr. Howland every morning before work.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Yeah I’m starting to watch channel 6 KAAL alot more than KTTC in Rochester. Better news and weather.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.