How to get rid of 1# propane tanks

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah well I got a small stock pile of them, I need to get rid of them, anyone have any ideas where in the south metro (lakeville) I can get rid of them?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

when they are fully empty, I put them in the WM recycle bin, and they take them..
    good luck.
    Jack..

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Really Jack ?

they will not take mine ???

hmmmmm

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just drop mine off in Chappys back yard while he’s working.

Seriously, I’ve just put them in the WM recycle container.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

i have heard and I belive seen an adaptor that can be used to refill 1# tanks I don’t know for sure but I belive that my uncle does that

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I just drop mine off in Chappys back yard while he’s working.

Seriously, I’ve just put them in the WM recycle container.

I was wondering where they were coming from……My dog likes to play with them!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Waste Management takes mine. However, they got a big hydraulic arm thing that dumps my recycling so they have no idea that I’m putting them in there. I get rid of my spent fuel rods that way too!

dd

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Kudo’s for not leaving them out on the ice.

There are enough slobs in the world, it’s good to know they don’t hang out on this site!!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I put mine in the metal dumpster at work where the metal gets recycled. Any HVAC business should have one.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I built a long stem’d tire valve tool that reaches into the neck of the 1# bottles and removes the valve….thus ensuring they are empty and cannot explode in the waste trucks. Once the valve is out, they are just a metal can and pose no danger. Regarding the apparatus that refills them, I tried that years ago and can tell you my personal experience with it was POOR, to say the least. I never knew if it was full, overfull or partly full. On top of that, the tire valve sometimes got cold enough through filling that it leaked…not a good deal in the garage. I’d recommend staying away from refilling these things. I bought a 5# propant tank (the mini one) and have a 10 foot hose on it…works in all my burners that take 1# bottles and is very safe.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Forgot to mention, if anyone wants to see what my long nosed tire valve tool looks like, just PM me and I’ll send you a pic.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

small 5 or 10 pound tank and hose is the way to go!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I believe it is illegal to transport refilled 1lb canisters.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for the ideas, I’ll have to make some calls, I like the idea of removing the valve, but I’m not sure the garbage man would feel safe still.

Refilling wise, I’d never feel comfortable, heck it seems the cheap propane tanks I buy from the store leak in the cold, and they are brand new, I guess serious injury to me is worth more than $2.50, and even at that pretty hard to get them all the way full if you are filling from a 20#er.

Anyways like you guys suggested, I picked up a 10# tank awhile back with the hose and that’s what I use now, cheaer easier and only a tad heavier.

Thanks, I’ll post my final results when I get this figured out.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I own a garbage collection business with my dad and we throw 1#ers away all winter it’s not a big deal to throw them in the garbage.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Here’s a pic of the little tool I made for removing the valve from 1# propane bottles

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Another view

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Just one more

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.