Chev Pickup Dash NOISE!!!

• shayla

Anyone know what makes this noise? It sounds like the dash is cracking when I drive down the road. First, it started on the passenger side. Calvin from the site told me it could be my bug-deflector, so I removed it and drove up to Ely this weekend. I still have the same noise but it’s migrated to the driver’s side of the dash now! The vehicle has never been in an accident, it’s a pleasure to drive other than that dang cracking sound. Pounding on the dash or applying pressure with my hand to the area the sound seems to come from has no effect at all. Maybe 20 cans of foam sealant sprayed into every orifice of the dash would help? Any ideas?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Has the windsheild ever been replaced?

shayla

Not sure, but I do have a chip in it and full coverage on my glass, so it COULD get a new one…do you think that’s the culprit? My state park sticker expires in July so I’m trying to wait until then to get a new windshield. (Cheap, huh? ) That’s certainly worth looking into, though!

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Derek is onto it, it’s the winshield trim that runs up the doorwindsheild post. glue, silicone or doubleside tape to stick it to the glass will fix it.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

We can save your sticker. Give me a call and lets get-r-done. Call your agent and then call me 763-784-5922. We can come to your home or work. I got openings tomorow and Fri.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I have a 2003 1500HD and I get the crackling sound from what seems to be the top of the windshield on the passenger side. Usually happens around 65 mph or when driving into a strong wind. Drove up to Canada with TheGun from this site last fall and his truck did the same thing. Doesn’t bother me much as I am deaf as a fence post, but once in awhile I notice.

shayla

Dan, that’s EXACTLY the conditions which my truck started with!

Derek, I will give you a call tonight after work! Thanks!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The adhesive that holds the windshield can expand and contract in cold/hot temps. This can cause noise.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

had the same trouble with a 78 3/4 ton (new then)
    the noise was coming from the plastic shroud that goes from the windshield to the firewall under the wipere
    I had to shim it with that thin packaging foam that breakable stuff comes in try a shipping store to get some or you can get it office depot
    let the plastic warm up so it’s not brittle pop it loose ane slip some strips under the edge approx 6in apart and push it back in place thats all I had to do worked great for at least 6yrs till I sold it
    good luck

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Dave, let me know if the windshield works for a fix, might have to get her done soon.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I was told it was the bug deflector…..let me know what works Dave!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Your first mistake is taking advice from a mortgage guy who owns a Ranger. Bad, bad, bad.

Let us know how it goes. I’ve got lots of noises/popping sounds in my 99, but I chalk it up to experience. 160K miles and counting.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

ehh, just turn the radio up. I find that is effective at drowing out noise the comes from the windshield as well as the wife

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i have a 2003 silverado, and have the same problem. it started on mine when i put a high profile bug shield on it. there is a service bulletin from chevy on this, and it also makes my driver side mirror(just the glass portion) vibrate at high speeds. the bugshield changes the airflow over the truck and it causes the rubber molding around the windshield to vibrate, and that is what’s making the crackling noise. you can silicone it down, and that should resolve it. me- i just deal with it, and i don’t want to take the camo bug shield off either.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

My Toyota does this too. I just turn up the radio.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Your first mistake is taking advice from a mortgage guy who owns a Ranger. Bad, bad, bad.

Let us know how it goes. I’ve got lots of noises/popping sounds in my 99, but I chalk it up to experience. 160K miles and counting.

hey Kooty,

let me know when you truck gets all grown up, I have a 91 silverado with 209K and some change, starting to go through the oil though, needs a valve job.

shane

duramax_2001
    Hastings, mn

Quote:

Quote:

let me know when you truck gets all grown up, I have a 91 silverado with 209K and some change, starting to go through the oil though, needs a valve job.

I have a 95 with 230k On it and still Ticking. My 01 Silverado Also has a cracking noise. Once i get the inside warm it cracks once and that is it.

shayla

Quote:

Dave,

Are you sure it wasn’t those M&M’s I spilled into your dash when we fished P4 the last time? I suspect you hear that thick candy shell…..

Did you really do that????

Reminds me of when I used to work for the Forest Service in Cook. We had a bear that got into these peoples brand new explorer and tore the dash out just to get at some M&M’s in the glove compartment! We trapped him in a culvert trap and relocated him from Buyck down to Cotton, 2 days later he was back! He must’ve been mad, too, because the next vehicle he broke into he took a dump in their back seat!

dp
    Rochester,mn

I have a 04 chevy and have the same type of noise but it was rubber flaps mounted above the hood hinges. You can see them it is right in the corner where the hood meets the cab. they are two vey small flaps but at highway speed I can see them moving and hear them. They are very close to the windshield so that is why it may sound like it is coming form the dash. Unfortunately I do not know how to fix it and don’t want to tear them off unsure if that would effect anything so youmight want to look. Good luck.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sounds like all you guys need to do is dial 651-437-4030 and ask for Corey.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My 2001 GMC had the same thing and after having the windshield replaced after it was broke on a trip to Canada, haven’t had it since.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I have this noise on occasion on my ’02 Chev. Where the “A” pillar plastic meets the dash, the two rub and make a cracking noise. Put some silicone spray in there and it will quit til the silicone wears off. This problem may be different than yours.

shayla

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! It was way more than I was expecting…I must applaud you all, not one of you told me to trade it for a FORD or DODGE (or Lexus ), so THANK YOU! Now, as soon as my wife gets off the phone I’m gonna give Derek a call and we’ll go from there. Thanks again!

StaleMackrel

Listen up! I had the same problem. I thought it was the flaps etc. Anyway this problem started after I had to replace my windshield because of a stone fracture. I took it to Clements Chev. My truck is under warranty. They fixed it by replacing the shield around the windsheld. I tried the silicone treatment etc. This is the way to fix it! Have the liner replaced around the windshield. Mine is stone cold silent since that time that it was fixed.

2catch1

as a chevy mechanic I get these all the time if its a silverado 99-06 the problem is this… The a-pillar molding that runs on the outside of the vehicle that touches the glass needs to be replaced or you can remove them, glue the back side with silicone and reinstall them, there is a gm tech bulletin on this. They are held in by 4 torx 15 or 20 screws, 15’s I think. The screws are removed after the rubber on the outside of the moldings is removed by hand, just snaps over the molding. Easy fix. Common complaint I get is “it sounds like sand is being thrown on the windshield!!!” Good Luck

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.