riding ATV/UTV’s on the shoulder of highway

• jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

As of December 12, the DNR changed the laws regarding Utility vehicles like the Ranger, Rhino, Mule etc. We can now ride on the shoulder of township roads, county highways and state trunk highways. Does that include Hwy 169, Hwy 210, 371 etc? I did some extensive research today with the DOT, State Patrol, and DNR. Most with conflicting answers. What have you heard? PM me if you want to know what I found out as it was very interesting but lengthy. I think the answer is “yes” but I’m fishing for more confirmation. Thanks.

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

anyone?

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I do not think the DNR has the power to change the rules of the road, I think I would check in with the highway patrol before finding out the hard way.

cb2
    Bemidji, MN

see i don’t know about that. it does involve nature, so they might let DNR have say in it

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

It has nothing to do with nature! It has everything to do with peoples safety on the public roads and having a non licensed 12 year old with a permit from a class riding on the highway shoulders would probably be classified as a high risk. DNR has no say of the laws on the road,that falls under local,county and highway patrol..

krisko
    Durand, WI

I’m from Wisconsin so I don’t know about you Mud Ducks…but the DNR does not enforce rules of the road or traffic laws. They really would have nothing to do with it. If you are wondering an answer I would get a hold of the MN State Patrol and there you will find the answer. It is highly unlikely anything has changed with the ATV laws.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i agree , i dont think the dnr has any say in that , that would be crazy to change that law !!!!!

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

OK fellers here’s the scoop. Class II UTV’s (Rhino, Ranger, Mule etc) are between 900 and 1500 lbs. As of December 12th, they have a different set of laws. ATV’s still cannot travel on the shoulders of county highways or state trunk highways. The class II Utility vehicles can. You must be 16 with a valid driver’s license. They have a whole new registration system for them. Please be careful and don’t abuse this priviledge. We don’t need a handful of dingbats wrecking it for the rest of us. PM if you want anymore info. thanks.

jwfilm1
    Aitkin, MN

ALSO, along with ATV’s, SNOWMOBILES or any other form of recreational vehicle, the DNR DOES HAVE the authority to enforce laws on the highways. These class II utilities are under the enforcement of the State Patrol, County Law enforcement and the DNR.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Enforce YES but not CHANGE laws as to where and what can travel on the roads. Your original post stated you heard the DNR changed the law that you can now ride on shoulders. Enforcing and changing are two different categories.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Now if SOME dept could change the laws so I might ride my atv pulling my fish house my 5 city blocks to the river…without having to trailer it…i would be a happy man!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I agree it would be nice as long as later mentioned in the post that they must be 16 with Mn D.L. But then we would have the ones out there that would abuse it and end up destroying it for everyone or atleast give anyone doing it a bad name..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.