Auto mechanic question

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

I have a ’93 Honda Civic that has a “clicking” noise in the right front wheel when I accelerate while turning. If I remember right from another front wheel drive car I owned, this indicates a bad CV(?) joint. My question is if my diagnosis is accurate, what is a ball park cost for repair. This car has 140,000 miles on it and has had the head replaced at about 120,00 (along with the water pump, timeing belt ….). it is in pretty good shape for it’s age. I plan to fix it, but will need to have at least a ball park so I can plan for the bill. I would like to just take it in and get it fixed but don’t want to be surprised with a huge bill I was not prepared for. I also don’t want to be in the position where the mechanic has it apart, then tells me the cost to fix is more than I am willing/ able to spend at the time but it is going to cost me 1/3 of the cost in labor to put it back together and basically do nothing to fix it. If I have aball park, I will at least have an idea of what it will cost me!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Labman

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

If it truely is the CD joint your looking around 200-300 bucks for a honda and you have to send in the core, so make sure the mechanic keeps the old one, its a 150 dollar extra fee if you dont have an old CV

waterfowler99
    Midwest

cv shaft is probably @ 150.00 and labor should be 1-1.5 hrs at max

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks, would you recomend replaceing both side at the same time? Or can I just do the one and ait for the other to go bad?

2catch1

Go to Napa or Carquest, I just got 2 complete axles shafts for under $150. (93 toyota corrolla) It will cost 2-3 hours to have both put in….around $400 in all. There is a core on the old parts so get them back. Also Autozone.com you can look up your own parts. Good Luck.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks, would you recomend replaceing both side at the same time? Or can I just do the one and ait for the other to go bad?

just do one at a time they are independent so its not going to upset anything, although some mechanics would tell you just to be able to sell it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.