Planning a muskie trip

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

I am planning a muskie fishing trip to Vermillion (sp) this spring. Being from Wisconsin, I am not sure of the “traditional” opener for Muskie (or if there is one). I amassuming it is the first Saturday in June (that’s what it was this year). Since the 2007 regs are not published yet, I thought I would tap into the vast knowledge base here! Anyone know for sure the opener date for Mn. Muskie?
    I will be asking for some (general) tips as the trips gets closer!
    Thanks! Labman

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

Labman I think you are correct as far as the date goes but I cant give you a for sure. I would say that I would go as late as I could if I were you. So the water can warm up a bit. If you have not been up thier you will enjoy it.
    RVRHNTR

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks, I have not been up there yet but a buddy went last year without much luck. He is not very patient and is reluctant to try anything new so I am going with this year to set him straight! (besides, I have the GPS with lakemaps and know how to use it). I am looking forward to it. We are planning the second week of June (the week after the opener?) but I need to find out for sure when the opener is so we can book the cabin.

Labman

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

if it were me, i would plan it for the second week of september. the walleyes should be biteing really good the second week of june. not to say that the trip will be a bust, but i think that your odds will be better later in the year. just my thoughts…………….tom fellegy

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

I guess I would have to agree with you about the fall VS spring trip. Unfortunatly, vacation schedules prohibit takeing fall days during the week for the most part. Where one can get it the others can’t. I plan on bringing walleye tackle along also so it won’t be a complete bust if the ski’s are sluggish! I grew up fishing the Mississippi so I have learned to adapt to the bite at hand!

Thanks, Labman

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.