What can they be thinking!

• pittmd

Anyone else wonder what the heck these guys are smoking that want to give control of 5 or 6 of our seaports to the UAE. I can’t even believe that someone had the balls to propose this.

gordonk
    mpls

Bush has always done business with the Arabs. The Bin Laden family bailed him out several times down in Texas. I think he just views them as business partners. And don’t forget the very lucrative defense contracts we just signed with them, giving them some of our best technology. They buy from us, knowing it gives them access to other deals. I can’t believe the press isn’t all over this. Iraq wasn’t involved in 9-11, but these guys sure were. It’s kind of like giving Hitler the contract for bullets during WWII. Not the smartest move I’ve ever seen.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Not that it would be that hard to get terrorists in but now if this passes they will have the ports they need to get in anything they want. This may sound bad to some but when i lived in texas i learned that they absolutely dispise people from Massachusetts. I had a few, who after noticeing that i had an accent from the north, they walked up to me and plain out asked if i was from there, i thought what the heck is going on between texans and the people from massachusettes. Its an old rivalrey of some sort. I know the south dosen’t like the kennedy family and its been that way for along time so maybe this administration is doing this to these northern ports because of bad blood from somewhere. I can’t imiagine taking control of these northern ports, some of the biggest ports in the north east region and giving control of them to a muslim faithed nation, friendly or not, it wouldn’t happen in the state of texas i can assure you of that and all of this without even notifying those on the other end that it was going to happen. I might be wrong but to me somethings in the air and i don’t want to say this but i don’t trust this adminstration one bit. Thier doing some really stupid things in my point of view. Yelling keep terorists out then giving control of these ports to a muslim faithed nation? Alot of things are going overseas and now control of these ports too and all of them in the northeast? it dosen’t add up to me. Can anybody tell me whats going on with this adminstration besides they don’t want anybody telling them that thier ideas might be wrong, set me straight because im asking alot of questions right now.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The US does not currently have operation control over those ports anyway. (The Brits did) The US does continue to control all security. Not to mention, nothing gets into or out of those ports without the Teamsters getting paid.

You two make it sound like there is some kind of national security problem here. You need to do some homework. And as far at the “Press”….They are all over the story with the same off base slant.

Don Hanson

Besides that, 95% of the containers coming in go unchecked anyway.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Jon…I wish you would start a current events blog. Seriously…you are one of the most “aware” guys I know. I appreciate your savvy knowlege/comments.

pittmd

Quote:

The US does not currently have operation control over those ports anyway. (The Brits did) The US does continue to control all security. Not to mention, nothing gets into or out of those ports without the Teamsters getting paid.

You two make it sound like there is some kind of national security problem here. You need to do some homework. And as far at the “Press”….They are all over the story with the same off base slant.

If 98% of the containers go unchecked it would seem like a HUGE national security problem to me. Giving the UAE control is going to help this? Your not really saying that we can trust the Teamsters to keep WMD’s out are you? Home work is finished!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Port operations are not responsible for checking shipping containers. Customs is. It’s always been that way. You want customs to check every shipping container? Then will you be satisfied waiting 2-3 years for products to be delivered from overseas? Would you be willing to pay 2-3 times more for those products. We are talking about everything you may buy at Wall Mart…..Like it or not. This would bring the US economy to a grinding halt. People would lose their jobs, companies would go out of business, how about your 401 k balance = zero!

UAE is an ally of the US. Has been for many years. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Can you please articulate why this is a problem for the UAE to own an operations company in the US? I don’t see much difference between them and Toyota with assembly companies in the US. What about China, Japan and Germany buying up US real estate at a record pace? Would’nt that be a bigger concern?

People who don’t fully understand the way a world economy works fall off their chair with the left wing, anti Bush media slant a story that is essentially a non-issue. Foreign companies will continue to buy and operate corporations in the US. Just like US companies will do the same in other parts of the world.

This is clearly NOT a national security problem. This is a problem with the news media in this country.

And by the way, no. The Teamsters are not keeping WMD’s out of the country. Bush is doing a very fine job of that if you ask me.

-J.

col._klink
    St Paul

Speaking from a teamster who deals with this stuff. We are not directly involved but we do our best!

And Well put Jon! some people are tuned in but are not dailed in. In one ear and out the same ear.

nord

I thought it was like putting a fox in a chicken house.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

You are absolutely correct Jon! The problem is the same one that has plagued the Bush administration from the get go. The Administration has an inability to perceive how their moves will be received and distorted. Or else they just don’t care what their opponents do.

Possibly the administration is hoping that a cumalitive effect is taking place with the weekly barrage of over the top “Bush is Satan” propaganda. This week its cargo containers. Last week it was NSA spying on Al Queda calls to the US. Wait! No last week and this week it is Cheney is a shotgun wielding maniac. A month ago it was Judge Alito is a racist. Two months ago it was Cheney’s office is revealing the identities of super spies within the CIA.
    Three months ago it was the deplorable inhumane treatment of the fine up-standing folks being held at GITMO.

If I had the time and desire I could go back over the last 3 years and find some “new” impeachable offense Bush is being accused of on a weekly basis. I think the people are at the point where they would like the “loyal opposition” to just shut up. I know I would!

dd

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is what has me scratching my head. I have read a dozen reports on this story and NOT ONE has explained how this is a bad deal. They just imply that the UAE is a collection of Muslim extremist terrorists plotting to destroy the US. That so far from the truth. People need to try and do a little thinking for their own and the media needs to stick to reporting facts. Keeping the UAE from doing business in the US during the war on terror makes as much sense as locking up all the Japanese during WW2.

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Lefties blame Bush for the rest of the world, especially Muslim world hating us. Then when Bush tries to allow the US to do business w/ long time US allies that happen to be Muslim, they say that it is a bad idea.

Over and over again the left wing in the US shows how racist they are.

Terrorists are our enemies, not all Muslims are terrorists.

The same people that think racial profiling is evil are they ones upset about this. It is almost too funny.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I can see where some might think that this is a legitimate deal and it probably is, i think its a legitimate business deal myself. In a free trade world this deal is probably a legitimate deal for everybody involved and probably has everything on top of the table showing that they know of. Where im coming from is after 911 i just don’t trust anything that involves a major take over of major ports in the United States by a muslim backed money company. If it were another world company from holland, spain, france or where ever it wouldn’t bother me because of thier final decesions on what thier procedures are. I know that there are plenty of muslim faithed people who don’t like the way thier countries are being run and were also educated here and in other free trade colleges from other free countries and want thier countries to change over to a more democratic nation. Making a general statemnet that a person shouldn’t trust muslims is burying there heads in the sand, theres lots of very well educated muslims in alot of countries, i know a couple here in town and we always talk when we see eachother. When it comes to our national security giving those ports over to the hands of an eastern company that has suspected ties to extreemists i don’t go for it. It could be this organization is completely intended on being a good business oriented company with no plans at all to do anything under the table, i hope so. I knew that it was the coast guards job plus the various ports police plus customs to inspect anything suspecious that comes into this country plus i know they have thier eyes open for anything that might have anything to do with our national security to keep things as safe here as possible. Theres thousands of shipping comtainers sitting on the cement staging areas in all the ports and its impossible to inspect them all and i’ve seen them there by the thousands. Two of those ports are in New Orleans and the other in the Miami area and not all are in the north east. I just read on the web where President Bush is justifying this saying if America stands for free trade that this means free trade for everbody. This is a nobel idea and one that i would stand for by and for any other country but when it comes to the muslim money club i can’t see the takeover for our own national security. I might not be right in saying this but can anyone assure me and others convinceingly that theres not bad money and that theres not going to be dangers in the future involved with this company. Why couldn’t they put this takover on hold for a few months while the much more versed than i take a look at the whole big picture instead of what it looks like as just a takeover by a legitimate company in a free trade country. The United Arab Emeriants are allies of ours but who knows how they’ve settled thier past ties from terrorists, whos money are they working with, terrorists groups looking for further financing? Can everyone of the people who run this company stand up and honestly say they have no ties to any terrorists groups and never did? This is a big book and there may not be a truthful or a complete answer to who’s money thier working with. Bin Ladens got money invested in alot of areas all over the world, its hard to find out where his moneys at and what hes doing with it to make more. Im not narrow minded and i hope that this companies dividends are sent to honest musilm faithed people who have invested thier money right and not for ill gain. It sounds like i don’t like President Bush and i really don’t care for him much and for him to just up and make this move because he wanted too without giving any notices to those states about any of this just proves to me he dosen’t care about anyone elses ideas and that only his are the only ones that matter. To me its kind of like the guy who comes into work and finds out that night is his last, no advance warning so he can make plans etc and what hes going to do. Im sure terrorists wouldn’t bring in any of thier items that they would use to creat damage to anything we own though shipping containers, thats an easy bust. The terrorists are much more sophisticated than that. I know President Bush makes some good decesions but im just not a fan of his or any of his past familys decesions, to me he could do alot better than hes doing on alot of subjects. I respect the presidency of the United States just not some of them that hold the office. Im all for gun rights, i own a few and will vote against anyone that discusses gun control as a blanket to solve gun crimes. Im not a liberal or a conservative, im the guy who makes his decesions on whats the best idea at the time and it dosen’t matter what party says what to me because its politics anyway. Im for the best ideas and solutions at the time thats why i think its an unwise decesion to just up and give control of these ports to this company without doing some through checking befor its done, giving these cities and the people involved ample time of this decesion would have been a good idea to me.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Whoa! Dan take a breath! You have good points; but a 1000 word paragraph is awfully hard to read!

dd

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Terrorists are our enemies, not all Muslims are terrorists.

Amen brother. I would even venture the statement that most Muslims are not terrorists.
    Additionally, every American who buys gasoline does business to some extent with “Arabs”, along with many other countries. It’s a global economy.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have to enter this because i want to change some things and i don’t want anyone to think im a nut case or out in left field. The origional reason i came to this site was for the great outdoors and the time a guy could spend there and tell others about. Politics has gone by the wayside for me and this site isn’t the site or place to get into any statement over political agendas. I can tell that all the people that post here on this site are really nice people otherwise they would shoot thier mouths off and leave. From now on im sticking to fishing and all the other topics this site has to offer. I’ve realized this isn’t the place for deep class room discussion on things that don’t agree with me, afterall this sites for the things people do in the great outdoors. We all have our topics of discussion and some things a person just can’t say much in a few words so its not worth discussing. Theres enough checks and balances in our system to take care of things of importance anyway. From now on its fishing and hunting only, this makes a better site for me and others too, Thanks

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That’s your choice Dan, but I for one would hate to see that happen. That is why we have a General Forum where you can debate anything! Within reason. We have referees in case things get personal. I have had many enjoyable debates with folks who have a completely different opinion than me. My favorite saying is “I don’t want to make people think my way, but just want them to think.” That way we can all get our point across in a logical and respectful way. I know when I have crossed the line, I have been told to settle down, or “Maybe you want to re-phrase that?” But all in all, I learn a lot from hearing what people have to say that have a completely different opinion than I.
    So it’s your choice, but I hope you reconsider!
    Tuck

col._klink
    St Paul

The great debate is what life is about. We all go through it. Your choice to voice your opinion is what makes this country great. Like my grandpa always told me

“If your like me, and I know I am……..”

nord

Most Muslims may not be terrorists, but most terrorists are probably Muslims.

jld
    Holmen

This probably will never pass through Congress because Democrats and Republicans alike are speaking out against it. Bush has said he will veto it and the veto will be overidden I believe by Congress. I think this is a knee jerk reaction but it makes the Democrats look tougher on terrorism. This may end up costing the Republicans some seats in the House and Senate this fall and I believe this is why the two top Republicans and many others in the Republican party have come out against this. I don’t believe this poses the great terrorist threat everybody is claiming but for the good of the party George W may want to back off this. It’s all about preception and having a Muslim country with access to our ports doesn’t play well to the average American.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

The Longshoreman’s union president has called for a review of this also.
    It’s suprising that there is so much bipartisan agreement against this deal. I guess perception is reality. Of course my first reaction to this was that it’s a bad idea. The UAE may be an ally now, but they have had some issues in the past.

WalleyeGFA

Quote:

Port operations are not responsible for checking shipping containers. Customs is. It’s always been that way. You want customs to check every shipping container? Then will you be satisfied waiting 2-3 years for products to be delivered from overseas? Would you be willing to pay 2-3 times more for those products. We are talking about everything you may buy at Wall Mart…..Like it or not. This would bring the US economy to a grinding halt. People would lose their jobs, companies would go out of business, how about your 401 k balance = zero!

UAE is an ally of the US. Has been for many years. I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Can you please articulate why this is a problem for the UAE to own an operations company in the US? I don’t see much difference between them and Toyota with assembly companies in the US. What about China, Japan and Germany buying up US real estate at a record pace? Would’nt that be a bigger concern?

People who don’t fully understand the way a world economy works fall off their chair with the left wing, anti Bush media slant a story that is essentially a non-issue. Foreign companies will continue to buy and operate corporations in the US. Just like US companies will do the same in other parts of the world.

This is clearly NOT a national security problem. This is a problem with the news media in this country.

And by the way, no. The Teamsters are not keeping WMD’s out of the country. Bush is doing a very fine job of that if you ask me.

-J.

Yup. Would rather see UK still in control, I do see some possible problems, but that could exist with almost any country to own the operations…

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

Dan: Lets not forget about the other two ports that the news media never mentions. The two in Texas, major major ports. There are really 8 ports in the sale from a British co. Frank

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Just heard today that UAE gave 100 million in Katrina aid. Googled it and it checks out.

dd

dwightanders
    Sandstone,MN

I’ve stopped listening to the media after finding out that the media is 97% controlled by the liberals. Everything is one sided. When Bush was in MN the news barely covered it and spent almost 3x’s longer covering Kerry’s speech in Iowa. They didn’t show much of Bush’s speech but covered complaining travelers that were stuck in traffic because of him being in town. Any neggative slant they can give Bush they’ll do it. Minnesota will always be Democrat state. I remember when Reagan ran we were the only state that didn’t vote in his favor. So no more media for me. I read through their B.S.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

When this first came out i payed close attention to the ports that were named. I must have missed the reports in texas because i didn’t hear about them. Heard about them just today and they said one ports this morning and two this afternoon, the media does have a big play in this. I just don’t agree with giving the UAE the chance to lease these ports and seen yesterday that thier not sure whos going to hire the people to work there. They said as of now the UAE could bring in help from any country if it wants, this sounds like a bad idea too me. Holding off until all the avenues are covered is the best idea, its nice to trust but its smarter to be realistic and be safe. I’ve found out that the press reports bit and pieces of a story, maybe they get thier information like this, maybe not. The press here in town is terrible when it comes to reporting the truth, very biased.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.