??? for IT type guy’s

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Hey all. I am looking for some anti virus software and am wondering what you who are in the know suggest. Currently I have Nortons but the update feature has just expired so I can’t get the up to the minute protection. I also have AVG (free edition) that was put on my computer when I had it in for service when my hard drive puked. (Talk about a pain!)
    Should I continue to pay the yearly fee to up grade the Notons I currently have, is there better or cheaper alternitives? I should also mention that I have Nortons Internet security. Basically I want to protect against getting hacked (at least make it more difficult!) and against viruses. My better half gets a little “click happy” at times and doesn’t always read before opening or clicking so I would like to catch anything before she (or I for that matter) has the opportunity to open something up that would put my computer at risk. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh by the way, I am connected via cable modem (always on) and am running Windows firewall.
    Thanks again.

Labman

david_scott
    Twin Cities

If you have the disc for the last version of Norton, you should be able to uninstall it, then reinstall it and update it. I dont care for norton 2006, great security, but it affected the performance of my computer.. was hard to even boot. I use AVG and havent had a problem… and its cheaper. (I’m cheap)

John Luebker

I will second AVG. I have been using their free version for almost a year now with no problems. I to am running with a cable ISP. Quote from AVG “AVG Free Edition is available free-of-charge to home users! AVG Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only.
    Use of AVG Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.”

AVG dowload Scroll towards bottom

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

At home I use House Call and AVAST, and have no complaints about either.

One thing to remember is always keep your Windows updated. Just do the high priority updates, unless you know you need others. Some of the “others” can cause problems.

jwellsy

You are correct about Norton’s fees being unnecessary.
    AVG is a great free anti-virus.
    Then there is spyware to deal with.
    Block spyware from getting on your system by installing
    SpywareBlaster
    It is free and won’t conflict with anything.

Remove existing spyware with
    Adaware
    and
    SpyBot

You should download and install both, they are both free.

The windows firewall is a good step but for added security you may want to install Kerio personnel firewall

Kerio is free and shouldn’t cause any conflicts at all.

At least once a month run windows update,
    update and run AVG, Spybot, Adaware,
    update SpywareBlaster,
    and do a disk defragmentation.

Your PC will thank you by running smoothly.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks for the replies guys. I do run windows update regularly, and I have Adaware and Spybot. I will need to do a little more research on the AVG to make sure I am utilizing all of the tools it has available. Anybody else with a suggestion/ opinion feel free to chime in. For now, AVG it is!

Once again the IDA family comes through!
    Labman

nick
    Lakeville, MN

AVG been my only antivirus software for years now ( I think I’m on my third year easily) Every once in awhile I double check it with an online scan, http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan.htm free, online, a little slow, but it works, never found anything on the online scan. AVG certainly has caught a few. I reccomend it too I also use spywareblaster

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10486084.html?tag=lst-0-1 which is suppose to block a lot of the spyware and junk from ever having a chance to try and install itself.

So basically I run 4 things, spybot, adaware, and spywareblaster, AVG. I hate to say it, but I haven’t had any issues with spyware or viruses since I’ve used these great and free programs.

I also like to run Hi-jack this, but that is a little more involved than I suggest even an average user, the program will allow you to mess some of your computer if you don’t know what you are doing.

I just noticed JW also mentioned spywareblaster, so much for reading comprehension , I’ll also note both of us link you to the correct product, don’t be fooled with the name games some programs try to play.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.