Do you carry a spare prop?

• pittmd

I was just wondering how many of you carry a spare prop in the boat with you and the tools to change it out? While I am on the subject, what tools do you carry all the time?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I carry a spare and the wrench needed to change the prop on my 14 footer/ 25 hp boat. I do not carry a spare in my Yar-Craft because I have a kicker motor to get me back to the ramp if I lunch a prob.

-J.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

a prop, whats that? just joking I have a RP so no prop to worry about. I carry quart of oil so if i run low, and jumper cables in case the starter battery gets low. That way i dont have to move the acc battery to the back of the boat, besides that, just the normal stuff, cold weather and rain gear.

Cattin_Addict

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks to Jon J, I now carry a spare prop!!!!!!!!

I also carry spare fuses, some wire, elec tape, a handfull of wrenches, screwdrivers, wd40, prop wrench, cotter pins, wire bundle ties, and a few other odds and ends in a small tool bag.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

I carry a spare prop/nut, tools for minor repairs, jumper cables, Cell phone, and fuses. Spun a prop off once and was 23 miles to the ramp, did not have a spare and trolling motor could not do the job, had to call for help. Won’t happen again

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I carry a spare comp prop. Its made out of some composite materials and will chip or break if you hit rocks or other hard surfaces. They cost a fraction of what aluminum or stainless steel cost. And they aren’t to bad to just run with either.

dd

duckilr
    Mississippi River

yep, spare props for both the EFI and the MinnKota, just never know.

Jira

I also carry a spare prop, nut, wrench, pin and assorted tools. I even carry a spare set of spark plugs, ratchet, and plug socket. P

John Luebker

I also carried some fuses, spark plugs (and wrench), a pull rope to start the engine if the key didn’t do it. I also had an assorment of wrenches and pliers. Just tucked everything under one of the seats.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Me too…all of the above!

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Ditto on what everyone else said. One thing I could add is that I tied a cord to the end of the wrench and made a loop large enough to put my hand through in case I have to attempt to change a prop while adrift (like if, God forbid, I hit a reef top on Mille lacs). That way if I dropped the wrench, no I mean, when I drop the wrench I won’t lose my only tool that could possibly get me going again. LOL!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Yup, same here…carry all the above. Also carry spare cotter pins for the prop and pins for the trolling motor prop.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.