Scary movies

• cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

So me and a co-worker are scary movie freaks and wecompare notes alot. Today we will be going to see Boggieman(sp). I have my dealts about this one because it is only rated PG-13. We both have the same taste in scary movies and we both have the same opinion that the movies from our childhood/early teen years were scary at the time but are lame in this day in age (but still retain the scary movie title – ones like My bloody Valentine, Happy Birthday, Freddie, Halloween, Jason). We also agree that since them movies, there has not been a “true” scary movie out until The Grudge. I just thought I’d put this post out here to what others think.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

The last decent horror movie I remember was Event Horizon, Before that, the original Hellraiser, which might still be at the top of the list. I haven’t seen it in a long time, so maybe it would be really cheesy now.

jwellsy

Scariest movie, that would have to be the original Exorcist when it first came out.
    The most recent movie that gave alot of people nightmares would have to be Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ. In particular that satans baby or infant antichrist that he has threatening Jesus with was in several people that I knows dreams.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You just cant beat Jaws. This one kept me swimming close to shore for a couple of summers in my youth. I know there are no sharks in northern MN but something else just told me there was something out there. Very scary.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Saw the Grudge last night . The ending sucked . they must be going to have a part 2? Maybe then we will know what happens.

All in all not a bad movie except for the ending.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Here are a few of my picks.
    Exorcist,this movie still scares the crap out of me.
    Jaws,how many of you were scared to take the first step into the water after seeing this?
    The Shinning,the music and those 2 little girls.Always thought I was going to come around a corner and see 2 girls standing there.
    Cujo,this scared me as I thought it was very possible for a huge dog to get rabies.
    Alot of slasher movies come out each year,here are my old favorites.
    Halloween 1 & 2
    Friday the 13th,part 1
    Nightmare on Elm Street,part 1
    The Beast Within.

Ryan Hale

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

I also give Jaws the thumbs up Not only is it a scary movie, but is a classic man vs. beast story told very, very well. The sequels were trash.

However, I think the scariest movie I ever really enjoyed was Sixth Sense. That totally freaked me out… fantastic ending as well

Dave

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

This topic is right up my alley. I just got done taking a class about horror films and novels. Here’s my favorite scary movies.

Exorcist
    Psycho
    The Friday the 13th Series
    Signs

There are many others that I enjoy and scare me more than whats on this list, but these are still my favorites.

jwellsy

How about:

The Birds
    Brahm Strokers Dracula
    The Evening News

herb
    6ft under

Alien

cherilovell

Ok, So I am back from the movies. I’d give Boogeyman 1 up. It was pleasantly scary/strange all at the same time.
    I agree with Brahm Strokers Dracula to a point. It is one of my top favorite movies – more to the gothic/lure point of the movie – not very scary thou.
    Jaws doesn’t freak me out but Open Water (didn’t care the ending)has me not wanting to ever take a scuba trip in the ocean/sea.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Open water has to be the biggest waste of a movie dollar I’ve ever spent! That ending…….. my 9 year old could’ve done better! Granted, I didn’t expect it because nothing ends the way it looks, but this one did! What a waste of time.

I haven’t seen a movie that scared me in eons. I spend more time making fun of them than anything else. So now I simply look for the entertainment value. If I wasn’t bored and I couldn’t pick the story apart too bad, then it’s alright.

The last “scary” movie I really enjoyed was “The Howling”. I’m somewhat of a werewolf fan but it’s gotten outa hand in recent decades. I like the old Lon Chaney on through the early seventies versions of the “wolfman”. Hated the movie depiction of the creature but I loved the story of Stephen King’s “Silver Bullet”.

The movies were much scarier being a kid……… kinda makes me wish I could turn back the clock and have “spooky night”.

cherilovell

I agree about Open Water – it was not scary but I still have no desire now to go scuba diving any time soon. I am a vampire/gothic movie fan myself. I remember when cable first came out and my grandma got it. One of the first scary movies I saw was My Bloody Valentine – me and my sister got to sleep over at grandma’s one night and we stayed up to watch scary movies. We didn’t get thur a quarter of the movie when my grandma comes in and turns the TV off – seems my sister’s screaming and crying woke my grandma up – never did see the rest of the movie to this day. Never liked the slasher movies growing up – too predictible.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Good thread, Jackie and I went to watch HIDE and SEEK last night. It wasn’t that scary but did have it’s moments. There is a movie coming up in a few weeks that looks to be good and the title of that one is CURSED. From what we saw in the preview it looks to be more on the lines of werewolf and looks to be scarry. One can never tell by just the previews but we are planning on going. Any one else see the previews for this flick?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

By Far the Scariest Movie I have ever seen is

The Exorcist (1973)I was in 6th grade going into 7th(things were scary back then )

This film took in a whopping $89 million, quite a feat considering the off-putting plot and stomach-turning visuals: a twisting head, spinning bed, and green vomit. (People actually vomited in theaters.I remember having to leave the show room and go into the consession area to clear my head ) A tormented priest tries to exorcise the devil from 12-year-old Linda Blair. In the process, he unleashes some of his own demons. I believe there was an Oscar won in this movie too…

If you are a scary movie nut like me and havent seen the original exorsist you MUST go out and rent it..

cherilovell

Quote:

Good thread, Jackie and I went to watch HIDE and SEEK last night. It wasn’t that scary but did have it’s moments. There is a movie coming up in a few weeks that looks to be good and the title of that one is CURSED. From what we saw in the preview it looks to be more on the lines of werewolf and looks to be scarry. One can never tell by just the previews but we are planning on going. Any one else see the previews for this flick?

Yes, we saw the poster for it in the theater and then last night on tv. Saw the previews to two other scary movies while we were there – can’t remeber the names off hand – but they look good to. We are planning to go Hide-n-Seek or Alone in the Dark next week end.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

A very disturbing (i think) and Jenny says is scary is Rob Zombies “House of 1000 Corpses” Maybe not

half2fish
    Wahkon, Minn.

THEY
    that is a good one. porb my favorite scary movie.

cherilovell

Quote:

A very disturbing (i think) and Jenny says is scary is Rob Zombies “House of 1000 Corpses” Maybe not

I thought for Rob Zombie – that the movie really sucked – I think that it was all the slasher movies all balled up into one – you knew what was going to happen – I can see why he had such a hard time getting the project going. He shouldn’t quit his day job thats for sure.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Although I like a scary movie once in a while…my wife isn’t. Now this is strange because she’s the one that would drag me to all the Jason/Friday the 13th movies.

My daughter brings one home once in a while.

Where does Jeepers Creepers rank? (personally I thought it was …kinda funny )

cherilovell

Don’t recall Jeepers Creepers. I remember when cable first came out there was the Crypt Keeper – some of them stories were pretty cool.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

what about the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. they only used a pint of blood in the making of that movie. I am not a horror film person, but the excersist and nightmare on elm street.

after them, I quit watching because i would never go to sleep.

shane

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Exorcist,Halloween,Jaws, Alien (the first one)where great. I think The Birds probably scared me more than any other, mostly because of my age at the time of viewing. The only thing I did not like about Haloween was all the copy cat movies, like the lame Friday the 13th movies, as well as it’s own sequals that it spawned.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

What did you all think of “The Ring”? I saw the commercial for “The Ring 2” during the football game. I thought that wasn’t too bad of a flick. I really liked the warning that came at the end of the movie. That was a good try at freaking people out!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.